• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Last night I got out the trusty flashlight and took a look at my tank. There were some monster bristle worms crawling around
icon_smile.gif

One was on my curly-cue anemone. I couldn't tell who was eating who (if either) and this morning the anemone looks fine. He's a little short, but he does that from time to time. Can an anemone eat a bristle worm? It was a nice fat one, I couldn't tell how long. It was kinda gross to see them tangled up together like that.
icon_sad.gif

A

Anonymous

Was the anemone fed that day/night?

Large bristleworms can sometimes attempt to steal food right out of the anemone's belly.

But,more than likely,the bristleworm just happened upon the anemone and they both defended themselves.

I like small BW but large ones can be a little scary. I would only worry if this becomes commonplace.

GL

Dan

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I was cleaning my tank and saw about a dozen of fat bristtle worms in my refugium stealing food from the pods. I suddenly has a urge and want to know if the BW can be a natural feed for my anemones. Tried 3 BWs and feed it to one Blue Carpet, One LTA and one yellow BTA. All BWs wiggle through the mouth of the anemone and out to the sand and disappears. Anemones were not affected. Looks as though it was a clown fish that has just swam through them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the anemone wasn't fed that day.

The tentacles and everything on the exterior of the anemone looks fine, but he's still pulled in. He has quite a long stalk and is usually fully extended, but he still won't come out. I would have expected the bristles to do a number on the tentacles, but they look fine. He usually only shortens like this a day or so after he eats. We'll see what happens.

How do I tell if he's dying? When I touched him yesterday while I was cleaning the tank, I could feel him sticking to me, so I figured that was a good sign. He looks better today than yesterday, but still not himself.
icon_smile.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a day or two. Most anemone of mine has that "thing" usually comes about a couple days every month (just like my wife....except I feel its getting worse after so many years of marriage. Its now like every week she is having that "thing"!!
icon_eek.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what happens Dan - as we get older it gets longer and tougher - stay out of our way!
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: