• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

WaterPlant

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Monroe, NY. They are my TDS readings not my PO4. The varying numbers are throughout the last few years of testing.

what chemicals are measured in a tds reading and what are the ratio of different chemicals in tap water?

what good is a tds reading if we are not sure the ratio chemicals in tap water?

correct me if i am wrong, i think we are trying to eliminate most of the chemicals from the tap water by ro/di and then add back the good chemicals by dosing. that leads me to ask what chemicals are not filtered by a ro/di filter?

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i think tds measures total dissolve solids in parts per million. example :if u have 1 ppm, that mean out of a million parts, u have 1 part contains solids.
the ideal ppm is 0. but i usually settle on 1.2 means get ready to change filter. 3 says change now.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
HELP me with the chart

I have just summarize the responses so far but looks very urgly, please remind me how to use the table functions.

Furthermore, please submit your locations in terms of zip codes whenever you have time so that eventually I can map this data. I will be sending these data to DEP of the city and the State. Of course I will erase the screen names.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
What are you hoping to accomplish? :confused:

The mapping idea sounds great though. It will probably look like isobars on a weather map.

After enough data, many of the new members will have an idea what their tap water is like in their respective area and thus
1)knowing whether they are in a good spot to start a healthy tank,
2)knowing whether their testers may be bad if there's a drastic difference from the average collected for the area,
3)knowing whether something is wrong in their water source if there is a drastic difference from the average,
4)when DEP receive our data they know better what waterlines they have to fix because they cannot deny anymore,
5)I make sure the data go to both the State and the city so that the State's DEP will over see the city's DEP of doing the right thing.,
6)there are so much more we can do with these collected data for whoever interested.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: