• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Anybody culturing phyto? I am thinking about starting a phyto culture and was wondering if anybody had a split that they might be wiling to part with.

I don't have it set up yet, but I am getting ready.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
here is a diy. looks pretty cool.i'm sure you can make a smaller vesion:http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/ds/index.php

some helpful info:http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/phytosteps.html

Thanks for the links. While I had been to the second link, I hadn't seen the article in reefkeeping. That is a nice set up, and I will definately steel some ideas from it. I plan on building a phytoplankton culturing station, in area of my basement where I keep most of my aquarium related supplies.

I figure if I build something that keeps everything I need in one place, and makes it easy to split cultures I am more likely to keep up with it.

All links are appreciated... if you have seen something out there that is worth taking a look at please let me know.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Matt, I'll have to take a picture of my four 2lt bottle culture station for you. I made it a while back but have not had the chance to test it out. Let me know before you order, I might order some of the start culture with you if work is slow enough for me to pick up another hobby:lol2:.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have been looking around and I might just order a culture from florida aqua farms, that way I can be specific with the typr of phyto that i get.

Cali...please post a picture for me so I can get some ideas, i'll let you know when I order. My friend lives realtively close to you so it will be easy for me to get it to you.

Wingo... I am sure that I will have more than i need once I get it going. I have a realtively small tank, and couldn't possibily go through it at the rate it reproduces.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: