• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be a downer, but this just happened to me. I've been doing quite a bit of online shopping while setting up my tank, and somebody working at one of the vendors took my credit card number and went on a spending rampage. Due to the communal nature of this hobby, we deal with vendors both huge and small (1-3 people). I've done business with something like 9 different vendors and hobbyists in the last 2 months, so it's going to be difficult in nailing down who did this to me. I won't give more details about it, as I would really like to find this person (in a dark alley). I've only used my credit card to buy stuff for my tank, so I know it's a aquatics-related vendor.

Be careful people! Make sure you keep an eye on your monthly statements. Now I also have to check my credit report for the next year or two to make sure this thief doesn't open new accounts that mail directly to him/her using my info (he has my mailing address and phone number from when I submitted my info online to buy something).

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inkblue, I hear you. if I or my credit card company figure out which vendor did this, I will definitely let y'all know. they don't deserve to be in business. i do investigations professionally for my job, so I plan on looking into this as much as possible.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ink it could be someone we might order from online as well. If you don't wanna post in public could you send it to us in PM's? Thanks

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
wow sorry that this had to happen to you. Could you name all of the the vendors which you had dealt with?
Aaron

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out about this this AM, so give me a little time to get things organized. I don't want to unnecessarily smear all the terrific vendors that I've bought from, so I'd like to at least narrow things down to a few suspects. I may then PM that list to you guys. But I'm hesitant to hurt anybody innocent. No need for one jerk to ruin things for other vendors doing the right thing.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
why cant he post suspected ...... businesses its just what he thinks. I bet it would be fine if it was done through pm.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Scarf once he has proof there is nothing saying he can't tell people who it is. I think he is using god judgement in waiting to find out who the culprit is first and not posting a list of who it could be but waiting for who it is.

He might want to keep it private for a few days just because he might not want the moron to run and hide.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Sry to hear that Tech reef
One of the reason i got into the business is becuase of all the fishy things ppl do ,I do hope you find them and do what has to be done ,in the legal route .Put them behind bars ,crime never pays ,also im sure if they did this to you they did it to others

good luck

Ronen

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Been there done that. I was a victim myself. You have to put an alert on your credit report, so that means you need to contact all three. Once the alert is on, they have to call you direct before any other accounts are approved. Also they might require a police report, as in my case.

Unfortunately, most of the time the police dept doesn't bother, that's what insurance is for. Unless it goes over $10,000, at which point the FBI can get involved.

I hope you catch this SOB, hope he goes to Jail. Keep in mind that by you going after him, you are also protecting the next guy in line.

Best of luck. Keep us updated.

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Of course I'll let everyone know what I find out so no one else gets screwed. Pedro, do you mean that I need to call one of the three credit report agencies? (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) I've already notified the CC company involved. Could you clarify that? Thanks!

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had my CC # stolen/used 2 weeks ago too. I keep my limit low on this card so when I got a call from the CC company asking if I was making $16,000 worth of purchases in the past week I had them cancel the card.

Most if not all of my purchases online are for aquarium related products but I have a feeling someone intercepted the CC info rather than an employee of a company using my info. But then again ya never know!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: