• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So my tank hasn't been looking as good the past few weeks and i couldn't figure out what was going on. Today i decided to check the TDS of my RO water and it was 52 argggg so I had an extra 5 micron carbon block laying around which is stage 2 of my unit. I swapped it out and it instantly my tds went down to 0.... My question is should I change stage 1 particle filter and stage 3 DI or just let it go till the tds goes up again ? Also should i worry about the hi tds water currently in my 28 gallon system ? I run carbon and gfo in reactors and skim wet.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank hasn't been looking as good the past few weeks and i couldn't figure out what was going on. Today i decided to check the TDS of my RO water and it was 52 argggg so I had an extra 5 micron carbon block laying around which is stage 2 of my unit. I swapped it out and it instantly my tds went down to 0.... My question is should I change stage 1 particle filter and stage 3 DI or just let it go till the tds goes up again ? Also should i worry about the hi tds water currently in my 28 gallon system ? I run carbon and gfo in reactors and skim wet.

With respect to your second question "should you worry", in what respect does your aquarium not look good?

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My acros look a little pale and i have a little algae but the algae dies off by the end of the week. I use KZ coral snow, zeobak, and cyano-clean, along with weekly 5 gallon water changes. The thing is i check TDS monthly but i forgot last month and so its possible that all my water changes and ATO water were polluting the tank. Phosphates and silicates will come down in time im more worried about chlorine, and things like that

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acros look a little pale and i have a little algae but the algae dies off by the end of the week. I use KZ coral snow, zeobak, and cyano-clean, along with weekly 5 gallon water changes. The thing is i check TDS monthly but i forgot last month and so its possible that all my water changes and ATO water were polluting the tank. Phosphates and silicates will come down in time im more worried about chlorine, and things like that

OK, the picture is clearer. Since there is so much organic matter in your aquarium to react with chlorine, your expensive creatures would not be exposed to very much chlorine for very long. Metals like copper, however, would not disappear so readily from the system. Would your carbon system remove copper ions? If yes, your lapse in memory is looking less like a fatal mistake.

If you can't sleep at night, do a water change. Maybe other folks have had a similar experience and can give some peace of mind.

Good luck.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i could be wrong but i think the particulate filters only remove dirt. the membrane and di resin remove tds. if your tds was that high i would think your system isn't working correctly or your membrane is shot.

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sorry the 52 was after it was running for about 30 min.. I changed the carbon block and i also opened up the housing where the sentiment filter goes and rinsed it off, A ton of brown crap ran off. I put it all back together and got a 0 tds reading after letting it run for 5 min

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: