• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, they are good pumps, and I've never had an issue with an Iwaki leaking BUT, I am wondering why you have chosen this particular pump?

Do you need a pressure rated pump?
What size tank do you have and are you planning to use this as your return pump?

Any other info you can give us please?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I brought a used rr tank, stand and the pump was part of the deal. Do you think I should be using a submersible pump?

For a return on a 57g tank you could definitely be using something more economical to run.
Submersibles run cooler than externals (I am sure others will debate that point, but I've run both and am sure about this), and there are a lot of excellent, economical to purchase and run ..and QUIET pumps on the market like the Eheims.

Do you have previous experience in the hobby or is this your first SW/reef tank?

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
No experience first time reefer what size submersible pump should I be looking for? Taking my time don't what to make to many mistake.

Good..taking your time is the BEST thing you can do in this hobby :)

I'm hoping you have been quietly reading MR for awhile now to learn some of the basic stuff.

A few questions before we get to narrowing down what pump...what are you looking to do with this tank..a reef?..mixed or SPS.. a Fish Only tank...if you have decided?

Do you have sand & rock?

Do you have any other equipment..a light..any pumps to circulate water around inside of the tank.

Keyman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
O yes a lot of reading not just on mr but on other website looking for any help I can get. I'm look for fish for now but would like o be ready reef when the time comes. Don't want to have to buy the same equipment again. Brought 50 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand also brought the following.
Reef octopus 6" pinwheel nwb150
Two hydro koralia evolution 1050
Instant ocean sea salt mix 160
Have a light fixture with t5 and LEDs
Metal halides

Last edited:

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an Iwaki MD55rlt on my 125 for 20 years without issue. They are excellent pumps, especially the MD series which has the Japanese motor instead of the American made WMD series.
That being said they do use quite a bite more energy than some of the newer pumps on the market (The 55 series uses 289 watts +/-).
An external pump is warmer to the touch because it's not being cooled by the tank water. And therefore not transfering it's heat to the tank. If you have room in your stand and your sump is drilled for an external pump definately use an external pump IMO.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
keyman i dont have info on that pump never used one but if u can i would def install a external pump save on heat been transfer into the water save space inside the sump/fuge plus u running mh those give alot of heat or u might need a chiller when the summer time come around

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sounds like you have definitely done your homework!

Due to the fact that you are going to set up a 57G tank, imo you should get a different return pump. (Not arguing the quality of the Iwaki as I run one on my 120, but you are running a 57G and don't need the pressure rated pump or the electric bill that comes with it...). I suggest the Eheim 1262 as it will compliment your system nicely and it is a great pump that will deliver the return power you need.
The flow within your DT should come from the powerheads inside of it and be complimented by the return and you have that covered by the Koralias.

Don't forget to get a heater!

Do you plan to run a controller on the tank?

Keyman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hep I got the heater for a 150 gal tank and just pick up a controller for my power heads. Just ordered the sump pump you suggest.
Thanks Kathyc and duds my boy See you in about 3-4 month so we can cut some that beautiful coral you have. Juggernot55 thanks for help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: