• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Just want to know what kind of CUC do you guys keep in your tanks if any at all. I find that my some of my cuc (the dwarf cerith and snails) always climb up the front glass which makes the DT very unsightly, and sometimes all the way to the top and one snail even manages to climb out of the tank (meaning it forced its way through the glass top) and then climb down onto the floor.

Thanks

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Just want to know what kind of CUC do you guys keep in your tanks if any at all. I find that my some of my cuc (the dwarf cerith and snails) always climb up the front glass which makes the DT very unsightly, and sometimes all the way to the top and one snail even manages to climb out of the tank (meaning it forced its way through the glass top) and then climb down onto the floor.

Thanks

I'm doing a rimless, planning to have a screen on when not viewing. Don't think there's any other way you can go to keep them in the tank. I would be interested to see what others do as well.

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Yes, but I don't even want them to climb on the front glass!, and they will only climb on the front glass, not the back, not the sides, only the front. I just want to enjoy looking at my tank without all these black pea size dots all over.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
LOL mine just climb out and commit suicide!

There is nothing you can do to keep them off the glass other than cleaning it ALL THE TIME. So rimless has nothing to do with keep them off the glass.

I do not have any cover on the tank. It is my kids job that when they get to the water line, they push them down and back into the tank, or they take the shells that are out of the water and get rid of them. I also have found them on the floor or the top edge of the tank.

Not much you can do about it. Those snails like to kill themselves for some reason!

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Netting on a rimless? Why even bother having a rimless if you do that?

Ive had a rimless running for 8 months and the snails just stop at the water line. Your snails are special, hah.

Let them die and by a different kind or just more of them.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Are you sure they're Ceriths? I find that the Ceriths bury themselves in the sand and do a great job cleaning. The snails I find committing suicide are the Nerite's. That's why I never add Nerite's to my system.

If you don't want them on your glass, the best way to avoid it is, don't put them in there. When they crawl on the glass they're eating/cleaning the slime algae. A good thing, IMO

Russ

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
yep, dwarf ceriths, got it from reefcleaners, some do bury themselves but because i have so many, a lot of them end up on the sand bed, climbing rocks, on the glass. I ordered 28 and I think there were 100 of them in the bag... Nerites are alway on the waterline, clinging together....

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, dwarf ceriths, got it from reefcleaners, some do bury themselves but because i have so many, a lot of them end up on the sand bed, climbing rocks, on the glass. I ordered 28 and I think there were 100 of them in the bag... Nerites are alway on the waterline, clinging together....

I am SOO GLAD this thread got started!!

I too bought a custom CUC crew from reefcleaners. Right away, the cerites climbed the FRONT glass ONLY - NEVER the sides or the back (which, ironically, need the MOST cleaning). JUST THE FRONT! So John tells me in a few days they will "freak out" less and start to spend more time elsewhere. Well, it's been WEEKS and they STILL climb the front ONLY.

During the day, they litter the sand looking dead.

At night, they climb the glass and all clump together in one spot (John DID say they were "social").

IMHO they are worthless as algae eaters.

My nerites climb OUT of the tank, and if they don't they spend 90% of the time at the water line, cleaning what little algae is there.

When I put these snails on the LR (which NEEDS the cleaning), they spend a little time there but eventually climb off and just go back to the front glass.

I put all my nerites in the sump.

Ironically, the few hermit crabs that I said I did NOT want (but somehow John shipped me anyway) are doing the best job of picking away at the film algae on my LR but they obviously don't clean the back.

Should I get some trochus or turbos?

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doing nothing, right? That's what mine do.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I have a 57g rimless, and also have my snails & stars at the very top lining of the water, but I think it's that the calcium builds up there, don't quote me on that lol...... And mine never really passes that water line.......

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I think they are doing something clinging together-> making out! now I have a whole bunch of tiny snails with white shells on the class, yes, front glass....:banghead:

YEP! These snails just LOOK at each other and they get pregnant!!

I'm considering taking them all out and buying a bunch of Trochus.

Ever see the front tank at Mike's store in Deer Park (Tropical Island)? That tank looks like it was blasted with acid, there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALGAE AT ALL ANYWHERE IN IT!! Perfectly pristine. And he has emerald crabs and trochus - neither of which I have. I'm sure that there is a LOT more husbandry going on (after all, he works there, he can clean the tanks when nobody is looking) but I'm willing to bet that his CUC is very efficient.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I also got my pack from reef cleaners. I went with the virgin nerites, much smaller and they don't really ever hit the glass. They do a great job on the rocks. I didn't want to get reg nerites since they are large, and I don't want bulldozers. Get a few chintons! They work great and they never leave my rock.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Save the snails, and the JUMPERS! You have no wrasses?

I have one Clown Wrasse at the moment and some firefish.

I live on the edge with cheap fish! I dont by any fish that I could not easily replace. I mostly run chromis, clowns, one wrasse and a pair of firefish. Everything under $30 and nothing has jumped out ever yet so.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Are you guys seriously bothered about ceriths climbing on your glass?

Boy I could only wish that was my problem.

The idea of a cuc is clean, why would them cleaning be a problem? If there on the glass it's because they are cleaning. Don't have a clean up crew lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: