• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
So r u saying that recirc skimmers don't have a specific running water level in the sump?

What I'm saying is it operates a little different. The feed pump is pushing pure water in, no air.

If you have a regular skimmer, Put your finger over the air intake of your skimmer. Without air, I'll bet u it will flood over, what ever the water depth is.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
it isnt the pellets and wish i knew it was a recirc from get. your feed pump is too much for the skimmer, it doesnt need a specific water height unless the outlet is submerged which can cause back pressure, just turn the feed pump down

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
thanx for the help guys. was away for a day so now im back. yes the skim is i very wet green color. going to play with the feed pump today and see what happens. thanx for al the good info. lets see what wors

using old 402 aqua clear power head 270 gph for the feed pump which is right next to skimmer in sump

Last edited:

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If the skimmer is in the sump, any way u can lose the feedpump and just tee off you tank drain to feed it?

Also does the output of the skimmer have a wedgepipe to restrict the flow?

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
a6898a28-123e-0533.jpg

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Ok, its a wedge pipe. I can see it in the pics. In the pic, its 1/2 closed.

If u look at the outlet hole of the skimmer, the top pipe closes it off as u turn it..

Set it so the outlet is open and not blocked..mark the pipe with lines so u know where wide open is.

Adjust the feed pump so it fills the skimmer about 3/4 the way up while running.

Then slowly turn the blue outlet pipe to fine tune the final water height in the skimmer..should be just below the cup.
Then let it run a few days and see how it skims

Last edited:

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
thats what i am do also i placed a something under the skimmer which seem so to have helped . not the fine bubbles i'm looking for but it's a start. thanx for helping me out. never had a skimmer like this before my old deltec turbo was so easy . wish i never sold that ..

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
No prob. Just make sure the outlet is wide open before u adjust the feed Pump.

Also. Is it in a section of the sump where the water level goes up an down with Evap?

Last edited:

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
the feed pump it wide open, so is the outlet from skimmer.water in skimmer is filled just under the red rim . with both feed pump and skimer wide open.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
the feed pump it wide open, so is the outlet from skimmer.water in skimmer is filled just under the red rim . with both feed pump and skimer wide open.

Perfect, now slowly turn the blue pipe.
A little turn and wait a minute or to so the level settles out.
Get it to where the water level is where the cup meets the skimmer.

Is it sitting in an area of the sump that the water level changes?

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
my have a auto top off so water never changes.. is it normal for the bubbles to be so big. i know they are supposed to be the size of a pin tip? really thank you for all the help

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Imo, not so much the size, but there should be enough bubbles in the skimmer body, that u can't see thru the water. Should be white like milk. Just like your pic.
They get big when the foam builds in the cup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: