• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
what kind of starfish are you looking to get?
Asterina usually come on live rock... but if you are looking for them i'm pretty sure any reefer would be more than glad to sacrifice a few (hundred) of those.

Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
what kind of starfish are you looking to get?
Asterina usually come on live rock... but if you are looking for them i'm pretty sure any reefer would be more than glad to sacrifice a few (hundred) of those.

I have them too that's why she wants a big one :banghead:

I really don't know anything bout them I've heard some are not reef safe.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
In a 14g I'm not sure any of the more common ones could be kept. Chocolate Chips aren't reef safe and Sand Sifters would eventually starve in there. I think that Linkias may eat Asterinas so if you want to get rid of them that may work. I would imagine that eventually they would starve as well though.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Don't some Brittles or Serpents get bigger and eventually prey on smaller fish? In a 14g I would think that they may start eating the fishy inhabitants eventually. I could be wrong but I thought I've heard that before.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
From Liveaquaria:

"

The Fancy Banded Serpent Star enjoys an established saltwater aquarium with plenty of live rock for hiding. It is nocturnal and often hides under the rocks during the day. At night, it comes out to eat detritus and small organisms. It cannot tolerate copper-based medications. In the aquarium it may be fed zooplankton, very finely chopped meaty items, and liquid invertebrate foods."

Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
From Liveaquaria:

"

The Fancy Banded Serpent Star enjoys an established saltwater aquarium with plenty of live rock for hiding. It is nocturnal and often hides under the rocks during the day. At night, it comes out to eat detritus and small organisms. It cannot tolerate copper-based medications. In the aquarium it may be fed zooplankton, very finely chopped meaty items, and liquid invertebrate foods."

Thank you very Much! Ill wait awhile but looking forward to this one.

:google: I Should of done that lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Make sure your wife understands that the :starfish: aren't out in the open most of the time..an arm or leg here or there but of the type you have as a choice..she won't see it much.

Can you convince her that a fire shrimp would be a cool addition? :) Or a Pair of harlequin shrimp? (you'd have to feed them chocolate chip stars and she might not care for that part), but they are wicked cool to watch :)

Last edited:

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Make sure your wife understands that the :starfish: aren't out in the open most of the time..an arm or leg here or there but of the type you have as a choice..she won't see it much.

Can you convince her that a fire shrimp would be a cool addition? :) Or a Pair of harlequin shrimp? (you'd have to fee them chocolate chip stars and she might not care for that part), but they are wicked cool to watch :)

I LOVE my Harlies! They are such awesome little Shrimp. They've also started breeding so that's even better! (I'm on the hunt for a Hawaiian pair as well) It may be tough to talk her into a starfish-eating shrimp though. My roommates fiance yells at us every time we feed ours. Sexy Shrimp are a pretty good replacement for the Harlies too. There are TONS of cool little critters you can add that will do awesome in a smaller tank.

Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I LOVE my Harlies! They are such awesome little Shrimp. They've also started breeding so that's even better! (I'm on the hunt for a Hawaiian pair as well) It may be tough to talk her into a starfish-eating shrimp though. My roommates fiance yells at us every time we feed ours. Sexy Shrimp are a pretty good replacement for the Harlies too. There are TONS of cool little critters you can add that will do awesome in a smaller tank.

I've been looking for sexy shrimp I can't find them at any LFS

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
There are mini brittle starfish you can add. In a nano tank like yours they will populate really well. Most reefers get them as hitchhikers but they do have a lot of predators. My goby ate all mine.
You have to consider you have a small tank so you have to think small. Even nano sized.
Sexy shrimp are cool. Get a herd of them and they are even cooler to watch. They also breed.

adamizy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There are mini brittle starfish you can add. In a nano tank like yours they will populate really well. Most reefers get them as hitchhikers but they do have a lot of predators. My goby ate all mine.
You have to consider you have a small tank so you have to think small. Even nano sized.
Sexy shrimp are cool. Get a herd of them and they are even cooler to watch. They also breed.

would a trio be good for his size cause I got close to his size and im thinking about a trio. maybe we can both benifet from this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: