• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I downsized my 300 gallon reef to a mere 30 gallons (and a 70 gallon fowlr for my Comet). My recent travels to South America and the Orinoco watershed have left me with a desire to do a Cichlid tank again.

Assuming 300 gallons was looking at this mix of fish:

1 X Hoplarchus Psitticus (going to b centerpiece of tank)
2 x Hypselecara coryphaenoides (May do Uaru if I can't find these instead)
3 x Geophagus altifrons
3 x Satanoperca leucosticta
3 x Crenicichla compressiceps
5 x Laetacara curviceps
3 - 5 x Nannacara anomala
7 x Dicrossus filamentosus ( may forgo these depending on size of C.compressiceps)
1 x Leporinus fasciatus
5 x Annostomus annostomus (might go with some larger schooling tetra)

Probably a few plecos. Going to have a massive wet / dry and refugium along with 2 cannister filters for other media. Tank will be 96" x 24" x 30" - lighting will be subdued - mostly T5's but considering one low watt halide in center for effect. Plants will be rough with this setup so only what is non palatable and will attach to driftwood will be used - mostly anubias and java fern.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the planted refugium will make the system work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldstein":xa9dia5r said:
I downsized my 300 gallon reef to a mere 30 gallons (and a 70 gallon fowlr for my Comet). My recent travels to South America and the Orinoco watershed have left me with a desire to do a Cichlid tank again.

Assuming 300 gallons was looking at this mix of fish:

1 X Hoplarchus Psitticus (going to b centerpiece of tank)
2 x Hypselecara coryphaenoides (May do Uaru if I can't find these instead)
3 x Geophagus altifrons
3 x Satanoperca leucosticta
3 x Crenicichla compressiceps
5 x Laetacara curviceps
3 - 5 x Nannacara anomala
7 x Dicrossus filamentosus ( may forgo these depending on size of C.compressiceps)
1 x Leporinus fasciatus
5 x Annostomus annostomus (might go with some larger schooling tetra)

Probably a few plecos. Going to have a massive wet / dry and refugium along with 2 cannister filters for other media. Tank will be 96" x 24" x 30" - lighting will be subdued - mostly T5's but considering one low watt halide in center for effect. Plants will be rough with this setup so only what is non palatable and will attach to driftwood will be used - mostly anubias and java fern.

the leporinus will most likely destroy any plant you try to keep ;)

the laetecara and the nannacara may be a challenge to keep together ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vitz, I think I am going to forgo the checkerboards and the nannacara and the leporinus. Instead since I won't be doing plants thinking of doing a small group of juvenile uaru and separating the odd men out once I get a pair.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: