• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Some of you know that I've recently moved onto the world of pure Cattleya species orchids. I've got the typical grow area set up, a bench for mounting plants, etc., but my coral holistic warm and fuzzy biotope roots just won't let go. I had access to some lumber and melamine, an old MH retrofit kit, and a big ass fan. So, off I went.

Talk about a learning experience. I learned, that despite 8 years of building with fiberglass, acrylic, glass, and PVC/plumbing, I know next to NOTHING about building with wood. It didn't come out nearly as nice as I'd like it (in fact, I'm a little disappointed, but its solid and will hopefully do the job. The final dims are 27 deep x 40 across x 44 tall, with a built in canopy. Three side viewable. I've installed hinges and magnetic catches for the front acrylic panel to be opened. The acrylic hasn't been installed yet.

Here it is before epoxy:

orchidariumbig.jpg

After epoxy:

orchidariumbig2.jpg

Structure and foam background and roots:

woodbox.jpg

Finished roots:

fauxroots.jpg

A

Anonymous

You could totally grown you wee...I mean your orchids in there! :D

A

Anonymous

Wanna get unbroke? Build me a kick ass skimmer. :D

That is very nice BTW. Very artistic.

A

Anonymous

kevlouie":1ghny9f6 said:
Wanna get unbroke? Build me a kick ass skimmer. :D

That is very nice BTW. Very artistic.

:lol: Can it be PVC?

skimmer1_886.jpg

A

Anonymous

sorry for the crappy photo, again. But it's ready for lighting, acrylic and the misting system.

boxbg.jpg

A

Anonymous

You know it might be cheaper if you just moved to florida and hung the plants in the shade of a tree. :lol:
Now if only someone hadn't abscounded with the C. kerrii at work! BTW in IL people grew catt layers, in central florida they grow cat talias.

A

Anonymous

ranaman":2wg1zyfl said:
You know it might be cheaper if you just moved to florida and hung the plants in the shade of a tree. :lol:
Now if only someone hadn't abscounded with the C. kerrii at work! BTW in IL people grew catt layers, in central florida they grow cat talias.

:lol: I live in florida, but I'll probably be moving to some craphole little urban apt in 1-2 years, so at least I'll have this thing, if it holds up!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: