• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the size...maybe 1.5 or 2 gal? It's an old tank, one of those kits from Wal-Mart. My goal was to have a bunch of brilliant green with a bright splash of red, so I added plants and just let them go wild (I actually prefer the overgrown/jungle look). You can't make it out very well in the pictures, but there is a branch starting at the top-back of the tank, sloping down to the front-center, wrapped with java moss.

Substrate: some sand from a local stream, with a handful of soil at the bottom...and a ton of mulm on top.
Lighting: the incadescant bulb was swapped out with a screw-in 14W compact flourescent.
Filtration: Elite Mini Submersible filter (with the output nozzle up against a piece of wood to prevent too much flow).
Heater: it was a Tronic 50w...but that was removed as it was needed for a nano-reef. With the heater removed, the water temps sit in the mid 70's after the light is turned on.
Flora: java moss, cryptocoryne (Wendtii green?), duckweed
Fauna: Betta splendens, and a few hitchiker snails.
Supplements: Nothing but fish food and waste excreted from the Betta.

Here is a shot from the front:
bettahexfront.jpg

from the left:
bettahexleft.jpg

and the right:
bettahexright.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: