• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MelanieF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've kept FW for at least 20 years now but just this month am diving into the FW planted experience...

Using a dip test strip I'm showing my KH at 300ppm and my GH at 25ppm. I used a water softener pillow for like 30 hours as I was told some of my fish prefered soft water. My bala sharks, glolight tetras and german blue ram are all happy but my green cory is spazzing out and one of my plants has a leaf that is starting to deteriorate.

As I'm still learning the whole planted concept does anyone see an issue with my GH/KH readings?

BTW, I am keeping low light plants and avoiding the whole CO2 thing for now. Also, I am using normal aquarium gravel w/ laterite mixed into the bottom inch, added one capful of FloraPlan 2 days ago, temp at 80F, and hang on filter w/ Marineland's Diamond Blend. Lighting is at about 1 watt per gallon w/ possible upgrade in the future. (I know 1 watt per gallon can be done per another thread here so I'm giving it a shot.)

Thanks in advance! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MelanieF":xt05nytu said:
So I've kept FW for at least 20 years now but just this month am diving into the FW planted experience...

Using a dip test strip I'm showing my KH at 300ppm and my GH at 25ppm. I used a water softener pillow for like 30 hours as I was told some of my fish prefered soft water. My bala sharks, glolight tetras and german blue ram are all happy but my green cory is spazzing out and one of my plants has a leaf that is starting to deteriorate.

As I'm still learning the whole planted concept does anyone see an issue with my GH/KH readings?

BTW, I am keeping low light plants and avoiding the whole CO2 thing for now. Also, I am using normal aquarium gravel w/ laterite mixed into the bottom inch, added one capful of FloraPlan 2 days ago, temp at 80F, and hang on filter w/ Marineland's Diamond Blend. Lighting is at about 1 watt per gallon w/ possible upgrade in the future. (I know 1 watt per gallon can be done per another thread here so I'm giving it a shot.)

Thanks in advance! :D

When you read that fish prefer soft water, they are referring to GH. Your GH is very low...it is already soft.

The KH in your tank is very high!

The basic idea in a planted tank is to hit a chemistry that is an optimum value...or a good comprimise between whats best for the plants and what is best for the fish.

If you have a high KH, chances are you're gonna have a high pH. The pH/KH balance in the tank determines where the CO2 concentration will be.
The best way to do this is to get the pH close to 7.0...this will drive the equilibrium of carbonate/carbonic acid towards the acid side...this in turn will increase the amount of CO2 in the water.

The problem with this is that when the KH is very high, if you make the pH 7.0 then the CO2 concentration may be too high for fish.

Consider this:
ph_kh_co2.gif

You may want to consider diluting your tap water (with RO) a bit. A 50/50 mix should be fine. This will put your KH at a more acceptable range. Then with a little CO2 or a small amount of acid, you can get your pH to an acceptable range with an acceptable CO2 concentration.

Did that make any sense at all? :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW

A KH (alkalinity) of 300ppm = 16.5dKH
A KH of 150 ppm = 8dKH

MelanieF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotchya :wink:

It's all relative... stupid relatives. :D

Kinda like w/ my reef the balance between pH, Calcium and Alkalinity are all relative. Hmm, Maybe I shouldn't have used the water softener pillow? Would softening the water to 25ppm GH possibly have raised my KH then? If so, I should be able to do a water change to even things back out I would think... but, if the water softening had no affect on the KH then I do have a tap water purifier I can use to do a 50/50 type mix w/ tap.

Thanks so much for your help!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MelanieF":3vwwmj6o said:
Gotchya :wink:

It's all relative... stupid relatives. :D

Kinda like w/ my reef the balance between pH, Calcium and Alkalinity are all relative. Hmm, Maybe I shouldn't have used the water softener pillow? Would softening the water to 25ppm GH possibly have raised my KH then? If so, I should be able to do a water change to even things back out I would think... but, if the water softening had no affect on the KH then I do have a tap water purifier I can use to do a 50/50 type mix w/ tap.

Thanks so much for your help!
I don't think the purifier will reduce the KH. The water softening pillow certainly did not affect it.

I'd use RO.

I wouldn't worry about your GH too much...its already low, and that's right where you want it. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: