• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rgj01

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add nitrogen to my planted tank, and all the 'recipies' i see say to use potassium nitrate.

I have not been able to find potassium nitrate, but i have got some magnesium nitrate.

has anyone used this in their planted tank (and not killed the fishies?)

thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that will drive the hardness (GH) up higher than you'd like to see. I've always read that magnesium is one of the primary components of hardness...not sure if potassium would contribute as much/more/less than magnesium.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Greg's a nice guy too, he can get other chemicals that are not listed on his site. He certainly filled a void, we used to clean out the HD shelves of stump remover to get our hands on KNO3 and was always a question of which brand contained what impurities and such... There are also links on his site (and mine if needed) to calculate solution mix and doses...

Giancarlo

rgj01

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering, but from the link above:

Note: Ships only to the US and Canada. This product can not be shipped Internationally.

I live in Australia, so that doesn't help me at all.

If anyone knows where i can get KNO3 in Oz at all, I would be most grateful.

Thanks all.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most feed and farming supplies carry it as it's used as a fertilizer in farming. Many stump removers use straight KNO3, Green Light is one brand we know is KNO3. Some pharmacists will get it for you but they usually want to know the person they are selling it to. It's also used used in rocket fuel so some specialized hobby stores also carry it.

If all else fails, keep an eye on eBay, there's always someone selling the stuff there. A pound should last you over a year so you don't need much.

Hope that helps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: