• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

beaslbob":3tvgln5v said:
at this point I'll just let the readers determine.

Hopefully they add to the discussions.

there ya go again :lol:

troll

A

Anonymous

why don't you just admit that

a: you have no idea what you're talking about

b: you do not understand the references you cite as 'evidence'

c: you're not adult enough to admit a&b

A

Anonymous

It's worth it to come to this forum just for threads like this...

Hilarious!

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

:wink:

i'd post for him some great links and specialty plant boards with TONS of great, correct, common sense info, but he just doesn't deserve it, behaving the trollish way he does, hehe

i mean-he knows it all already, he just can't get his tanks to show it in results (?) :?

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":1hj0vu35 said:
So to fight it, increase the oxygen, decrease the co2 (circulation), and get the plant life growing again. Add nitrogen, add bioload (fish), harvest plants or macros. But get the plant life growing again to consume the nutrients and co2 the cyano needs.

I don't know that I agree 100% with this conclusion. You will actually find that cyano bacteria, although it can fix nitrogen, it can also utilize ammonia quite well. In my many encouters with cyano over the years I have found that increased water flow helps as it aids nitrification. I have never found any correlation between CO2 and cyano, I run 30ppm CO2 in all my tanks and no sign of cyano. The only reason I may try to moderate surface agitation is to reduce the loss of CO2 from the water.

One of my mature tanks recently was overtaken by cyano. The events that took place prior to the outbreak of cyano were the CO2 tank running out due to a leak in the regulator and the substrate becoming rather dirity with decaying plant matter due to the CO2 issue. In other tanks I've had outbreaks following a disturbance of the substrate or having used substrates that release ammonia during their break-in period. Also had cyano once from having cut back the plants way too much in a single shot, therefore creating an abundance of nutrients that were no longer being utilized.

Totally agree with the fact that once the plants are thriving, cyano is rarely a problem.

Giancarlo Podio

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: