• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

beaslbob":2iwhlkew said:
beaslbob":2iwhlkew said:
3)How does that compair to ozboy's 3 month experience with 0 ammonia/nitrItes/nitrates?

Water changes of 10%/10days would not have reduced the ammonia/nitrItes/nitrates in ozboy's tank.

Because oz established a system right from the start that prevented the increase in those things, water changes are unnecesary. the only thing that could have happened is that by "messing" with tank, the water changes could have increased the daily buildup,preventing the 0 values experienced.

The best setup is one that reduces the daily buildup hopefully to 0 or at least small enough they are unmeasurable for a few years. Water changes simply do not do that. 1 ppm pre day of nitrates IME is a small amount. We constantly have newbies posting they have 40-100ppm after a few months of operation dispite doing weekly 10% water changes.

What newbies and experts alike need to do and recognize is to establish plant life and bacteria to maintain the system. and not rely on water changes. Because even in tanks with 0 nitrates, none of the nitrates are being controlled by water changes.

Ditto for calcium, hardness, mag, alk and everything else.

patently false, and proven wrong by thousands of aquaria daily :lol:

A

Anonymous

what this analysis shows is that all those tanks are being maintained by something other then 10% weekly water changes. Which is what the faulty assumptions allowed us to analyze.

A

Anonymous

if you say so

i won't argue with you further

i'm not saying you're correct, i just won't argue with you further

can you show me visual proof that your methodology of no water changes leads to a healthy vibrant growing FW tank ?

A

Anonymous

Vitz, don't stop

This thread is freakin awesome!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, Vitz,

I am back! Browsing through list of threads available, I immediately chose this one because I know it can be very entertaining!

Happy Holiday Seasons!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't changed the water in my 55g freshwater planted tank in about 4 years. I only top it off.

There is zero algae growth, in fact all but about 1% of my snails have died and now the snail to algae balance does not swing anymore.

There are no detectable excess phosphates (surprising, since the water could be described as 'sedimentary, much like the amazon it's modeled after') ... the bed is a mix of natural river gravel, peat and laterite.

My plants are all thriving. Crinum, about 100 anubias just flowered. That kind of thing. They do not pearl anymore since I stopped "overcharging" them with DIY CO2.

Fish WERE doing well. I was using the tank to breed long finned german blue rams, i had a SWEET lookin F1 pair. But the stud died from complications due to severe inbreeding.

I have a HOT magnum canister filter and a strip of PC bulbs above it. Nothing else on this minimal amazon pseudo-biotope.

This info is all anecdotal, and not at all scientific. All I know is, "it's working" ...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't find it surprising that rams are having trouble in non changed water...there's a big difference between how plants deal with that situation, vs. fish

there are tons of waste products that plants DON'T uptake that can negatively impact on fish health

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to identify his cause of death and it wasn't due to water conditions. Macrogeophagus Ramirezii as a breed is hyper-inbred to the point where defects and abnormalities are beginning to make the species unviable. Certainly, this will detract from its ability to survive in any aquarium. But in this case I don't believe water complications had anything to do with it, not even as an aggravator. Read up on M. Ramirezii, there are several recurring problems that are common to the species.

If you'd like more anecdotal evidence, I kept 5 pidgeon's blood discus in this tank for a year without incident.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that specific incident may not be related to my point, but the point, and my advice, still stands....

one obvious example is the anti growth hormone that fish secrete into their environment, that plants do not uptake ;)

one can do an easy experiment to illustrate....

take a 10 gallon tank, heavily planted, with 20 guppy fry....

follow their growth in relation to when wc's are performed-you will see growth spurts directly follow the wc's, and growth will slow for the entire group between wc's ;)

i'm well aware of the quality issues with rams, as well :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":gsyp47ex said:
take a 10 gallon tank, heavily planted, with 20 guppy fry....

follow their growth in relation to when wc's are performed-you will see growth spurts directly follow the wc's, and growth will slow for the entire group between wc's ;)

Having raised fry, I can say this is undeniably true.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: