• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Yeah, it's yeast and sugar. This is a first. We shall see. :)
~wings~

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, if you keep up with it it's a good method, specially for such small tanks. I would still suggest you try Excel, even in conjunction with CO2 it helps with algae as it acts as both an organic carbon source and an algaecide of sorts.

In case you have any doubts I wrote up a little how-to on DIY CO2 on my website:

http://www.gpodio.com/diy_co2.asp

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gpodio

...the best comment:
Don't drink the brew :)
:lol:

...very cool. Thanks a lot! I already have a canister for the co2 mixture, so I could prolly just make my own brew using just the yeast and sugar, right?
(this is after the packets that they gave me run out)
~wings~

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) I've actually been asked that in the past...

Yes you can use either method in the same canister. I think the ones you buy have something similar to baking soda added to them, it may help prolong the mixture as it will be less acidic. Not sure how much of a difference it makes though, you'll be able to compare them once you try it. I haven't tried it myself, I think it's the Hagen setup right?

Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! ... sure is. :)

Ok, added 7 neons, and 2 glow lights. Pics to follow. Also, as a backup, I ordered some:

CW-330182 PL - Micro Sword
CW-330234 PL - Dwarf Sagittaria
CW-330000 PL - Anacharis

On the description, they said that care was "easy". I think I should be able to handle this. ;) They should be arriving today. We shall see.

~wings~

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it could do with a little updating though, it's been a while since I've uploaded new photos....

I think the choice of plants is good, they are quite easy, perhaps the Anacharis is the more difficult of the three. It's one of those plants that is commonly found in most fish stores however does have certain requirements as far as light goes, in most lower light setups it tends to loose it's leaves and in extreme cases the lower part of the stem rots away. If it happens just toss it out, don't take it as something being wrong with your setup, it's just one of those plants...

Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some neons and glow lights...tough little guys to photograph. :)

~wings~

Attachments

• Neonandglowlights[2].jpg
    Neonandglowlights[2].jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 146
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plants arrived yesterday... they were very very cold.. eh.. plopped them in the tank anyway... we'll see what happens. Pics to follow.
~wings~

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...so today I found a small snail...A Freshwater hitchhiker!... Should I worry before it becomes a plague?

~wings~

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like snails, do you know what type you have? I got a hitchiker and I just let it populate, but thats just me. They sell snail-a-cides if they get really pesky. They can get annoying depending on total size.

More pics! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings8888":2zh66jok said:
...so today I found a small snail...A Freshwater hitchhiker!... Should I worry before it becomes a plague?

~wings~

Yep in a fw planted tank you get free cleaner crews with the plants. Always happened in all the fw planted I have setup. Even if you didn't actually get a snail, there are always snail eggs on the plants. So they will show up in a week or two.

What will happen is you will get a lot of snails at first. Then the population stabilize at much smaller numbers. All the while helping to clean the tank.

And you know what. The same things happens in salt/reef tanks. Not only do I have mysis, pods and the like from my chaeto but also stroms as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK! 2 months later, I had a pretty good die off, but I left it alone until all the plants had little sprouts on the bases. I then cut everything back, and let it grow again.

This picture is right after I cut everything back the 2nd time.

Fish: 5 neons, 3 glow lights, 3 black neons, 1 albino cory, 1 khuli loach.

Snail population is growing!

~wings~

Attachments

• Fresh 3-13-05.jpg
    Fresh 3-13-05.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 112
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, Wings. There is always something exciting about a new tank :D

Andy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added today:

5 ghost shrimp
1 dwarf cory
1 pair of guppies

I hand picked the guppies... 1 red snakeskin male, 1 yellow snakeskin "plump" female. ...things should get interesting in the next couple of weeks. :lol:

Has anyone had any success with breeding ghost shrimp in their tanks?

~wings~

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: