• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rim_Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So i bought a fang blenny and had him in my sump while deciding what to do with him. I thought he was big enough to not get eaten by the lion but decided not to risk it. He managed to swim into the main tank through the pump last night. I want to know what happens if the lionfish decides to try and eat him. Will the lionfish die from getting stung? Will he just eat the blenny with no effects? Will he spit the blenny out and not try to eat him again?

I also have a reef tank i could put him in but im not sure if he is reef safe. All fish in the reef tank are not much bigger than him and none will grow to be more than 4 or 5 inches.

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
It's hard to say. I have seen an eel eat a lionfish on 3 occassions and the eel survived two of those eatings. I would say the lionfish could survive but there is no guarantee it will.

ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
I had a lion eat a fish I had that was more that 1/2 its size. They also grow very fast depending on the species and can get quite big.

Be careful.

Last edited:

Rim_Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I might put him in my reef tank and it was a mag 12 that the fish went through. I am amazed he is unharmed. The lionfish hasnt tried to get him yet ill keep an eye on him until i can catch him. This is the fish from pets warehouse. Do i have to worry about him with other small fish. Will he attack them? Firefish? clowns? jawfish?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The Lion fish is going to eat anything it thinks it can fit in its mouth. So you may have a small fish living with the Lion fish for quite some time, because it's to large for the Lion fish to eat. As the Lion fish grows it will reach a point where it can eat the smaller fish, once that happens it will eat it.

CadetMKultra

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think some of you are missing the point of iverson is curious about. Fang Blennies have a special fang, which is only used to deliver a poisonous bite to the inside of a predator's mouth. I'm curious to know what happens. How well will this adaptation work? I bet that even if the lion fish does eat the blenny, and manages to survive, it will never again be inclined to eat another yellow tailed fang blenny.

Rim_Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
cadet i do believe the lionfish tried to eat him and i did not see. the lionfish became very pale looking for about a day and a half. All of the sudden his color came back and he became active again but i havent seen him look at the fang blenny since then. The blenny looks fine and i am wondering how long this will work. Im unsure if once the lionfish gets large he may attempt to eat him. the silversides i feed him are about the same size as the fang blenny. I may move him to my reef still just to be safe.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: