• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
So I bought a pair of these little guys and after doing lots of research, I saw that a lot of the ones online have much different coloration. I was wondering if this is something they develop over time as they mature. Mine looks like this right now...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2285&pcatid=2285
And online they look like this, assuming it's a mature male.
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/FE5A99DD69DA4F15A9772D9E68177620.jpg

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if in fact i do have a true pair, will the male's coloration end up like the second picture?

-Kris

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
Pretty fishies Kris..best of luck with them :flower:

Thanks Kathy!!

Lenny,
They do have cool little traits. For some reason I like watching them bury into the sand when the lights go out:).

Randy,
Is it somewhat safe to assume that since they are coexisting with no drama that it might be a male and female? One of them is significantly smaller than the other. One is maybe 3inches where as the other is 1.5-2inches and with much less body.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Is it somewhat safe to assume that since they are coexisting with no drama that it might be a male and female? One of them is significantly smaller than the other. One is maybe 3inches where as the other is 1.5-2inches and with much less body.

IMO, if they are both juveniles, they wouldn't fight until they approach maturity, regardless what sex they are.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Not sure where the "Hoeven's " comes from. This is the problem with using non-scientific names-- it is sometimes difficult to know what we all are talking about. The assigned name for this species is H. melanuras. AND I might add, there is a whole complex of very similar Halichoeres wrasses that are very hard to distinguish between-particularly regarding juvi. and female coloration.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
These are the wrasses I have.

106_0061.jpg

Larger and smaller

106_0062.jpg

Larger and part of the smaller

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
Thanks guys!

I actually caught the larger opne eating a bristle worm right out of the sand. The little one tried first but couldn't fit the worm in her mouth. I got them at NWA in the city. Saw one first, then a minute later saw the other. We watched them for a while and decided to give them both a shot.

Now Kathy was over at my place yesterday and noticed something that was different about the fish and I'm not sure if it makes a difference. They both have 3 spots, 2 on their top fin and one right before their tail. The larger one however, has a spot in the middle and back of his top fin, whereas the little one has a spot in the middle and front of the top fin. Does that mean their different fish/sex?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: