• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always Quarentine my fish before introducing them to my main tank but have noticed some clean healthy fish periodically get ich after being in big tank (always tangs). The veterans of thetank have nothing, but was wondering if I should set up a seperate 55 gallon QT tank and put all fish in there for a while (how long?), And leave my reef tank w just corals and anemones for 6 weeks or so whilefish getting copper treatment in water from established tank in 55 gallon, while 110 main tank just gets good water change no fish and two cleaner shrimp,maybe get another two for 6 weeks

Any ideas, or should I just let itbe, only one fish has it a little but it annoys me and he was QT for 4 weeks, so must be the tank.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ick can also develop due to stress or improper nutrients. Just because you QT doesnt always mean its not already in ur main tank. Tangs are easly killed by ick, your best option is not to buy tangs.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
ick's life cycle is 6 weeks, but 8 weeks to be sure.
however ick can still be intro to fish when the fish gets stress or harassed or hurt,etc..
this weakens them n ick may appear. it's similar to people catching a cold.
however, if the fish is establish n healthy, it can built up immunity to it n recover.

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ick goes away,if you feed the fish garlic .I had it before and I fed my fish fresh garlic with their food.I also installed a uv light but can't tell you for sure if the uv helped much-I guess it did.The corals wood not get affected by the fresh garlic either.

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 10 gallon water change on big tank, maybe this stressed purple tang, thats why ich appeared, but know hes safely in QT getting treatment just in case. All my parameters are zero in main tank

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the addition of copper make my test kit falsely read for nitrite, because all the water is from established tank and I did a 75% change than used main tank water and it still shows up high? than the main tank is zero, how is that

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I have successfully kept an ich free tank for years after an infestation. It is quite easy to do, follow these steps:

1. Remove every single animal that can catch ich from your display. The only thing that gets to stay are corals and inverts. Not a SINGLE fish can remain.

2. All fish go into a "trow away" tank or rubbermaid bin. Temp set to 90 degrees F and copper is added to the water. (Not all animals can handle copper) Test the water twice a day to make sure that you're not over or under doing it with the copper. Make sure to keep the water aerated and change the water often with BRAND NEW WATER, NOT tank water.

3. Keep the display at 80 degrees F.

4. Keep both tanks at 80 degrees for 8 weeks.

5. First day of week nine start changing the water in the hospital tank with tank water. Slowly acclimate them back to your tank water over the next few days.

6. Add fish back to your display. Your display is now free of ich, but you are not done yet!

7. New fish MUST live in a QT tank for 4 weeks before being added to your tank. If you put a fish in QT for three weeks and a SINGLE ich cyst is under is skin you're going back to step one!

8. LFS water has no business mixing with your water. New fish get acclimated, poured into a net, FW dipped and placed in QT for four weeks.

9. Follow the above steps and you will have ich free water. Temp swings or not you'll be fine.

Disclaimer: I haven't followed the above rules with my new tank :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: