nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Ordered the Marine Pure media from Aquarium Specialty, got the 1.5" sheres 2 quart box. They are in my sump sponge section, I got rid of the block sponge was advised its a nitrate factory. I've read good stuff about this medias use and benefits. I hope it will aid in removing some of my nitrates in the process. I will keep you updated.

I am also starting a reactor with the new Reef Interest All In One Biopellets approx 300ml and hope long term PO4 will be reduced to zero. I was over whelmed by nuisance algae bloom after I added a piece of artificial reef rock. It spread like a wild fire taking over all my rocks and covering my zoa frags, killed a few. I'm on the way back from that and an ich outbreak.

I was considering throwing in the towel but have decided to continue. I only have a CUC, a purple fire fish, yellow goby, and the culprit of the ich a hippo tang which survived. I lost my clowns, powder blue tang, red velvet wrasse and blue chalk basslet. Maybe I rushed too much and caused my bioload to overwhelm my filtration. I have treated the tank for 10 consecutive days using Sicce herbal ich medication which is reef safe and have been feeding the surviving fishes w/ medicated food by Doctor G. So far the hippo looks much better, I plan to continue feeding until the food is finished and then wait before reintroducing fishes again.

ReefWreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
So I replied to your other post, but you shouldn't run biopellets and marine pure media, as they'll compete each other for nitrates. Biopellets use up nitrates and phosphates, and create bacteria that need to be skimmed out. Marine pure allows more nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, who will not use up phosphates, only reduce nitrates.

You would need to pair the marine pure with something gfo media to reduce the phosphates separately.

Also, ich can't be cured in tank. It just can't happen in a reef tank because the chemicals that actually kill it are poisonous to a reef tank.

Strong well fed fishes can suppress the parasite from killing them, but until you remove all fishes and complete a tank-transfer-method (TTM) regimen to rid them entirely of ich, it'll still be in your tank and fishes. As long as they're not too stressed, it should be okay, as most people's tanks have it in it. But if they do become stressed, there is the chance of it flaring up again.

lmclane

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have installed the 4" block of Marine Pure Bio Media in my refugium and for awhile appeared very positive, however the last 6 weeks or so the entire surface maintains a deep bed of algae, I scrape and remove only to have it return - likely you are going to tell me this is what it is suppose to do - maybe that's what I am hoping for. This block is sitting on top of glass tray with Fuji Mud - other than a fine film of mud lingers - just looking for input or suggestions. The mud has reduced and been in place for about 4 months and feel its time to change at least portion, thinking of EcoSystem brand? Afraid somewhat since I have life source of something that looks like worm type that is in mud, algae and the Bio block - also a small about dime size flat star shaped thing living as well. Help the new kid in the hobby. Also, I have a Bashsea skimmer about 14 months old, not sure why but not really happy and thinking of new model Deltec - anyone experienced with either brand?

Fishtankfrank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have installed the 4" block of Marine Pure Bio Media in my refugium and for awhile appeared very positive, however the last 6 weeks or so the entire surface maintains a deep bed of algae, I scrape and remove only to have it return - likely you are going to tell me this is what it is suppose to do - maybe that's what I am hoping for. This block is sitting on top of glass tray with Fuji Mud - other than a fine film of mud lingers - just looking for input or suggestions. The mud has reduced and been in place for about 4 months and feel its time to change at least portion, thinking of EcoSystem brand? Afraid somewhat since I have life source of something that looks like worm type that is in mud, algae and the Bio block - also a small about dime size flat star shaped thing living as well. Help the new kid in the hobby. Also, I have a Bashsea skimmer about 14 months old, not sure why but not really happy and thinking of new model Deltec - anyone experienced with either brand?
if you change out your mud you risk the chance of causing a mini cycle in the tank. if you really want to do it, do it really really really slowly over weeks of time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: