• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Fluval Filter died out last night.

I am relatively new at all this and am curious if i should be buying a new one to replace it or get ready to go to a wet/dry system with pump and protein skimmer underneath the tank.

My setup is relatively fresh, 55 gallon tank with Current 4 Light T5 with a snow leopard eel, Achilles Tang, some damsels, some clowns and a clam. Would like to eventually add some coral to brighten it up.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do that, but with fish only tanks it is not really necessary. I would go with the cheapest option and most convient. You could always add a HO skimmer if you want.

I would eventually be adding add corals to the tank. So instead of doing things twice and paying for them twice, I would like to
xsp7aR6AAAAAElFTkSuQmC=
wQYAMT1GrG4vnRMAAAAAElFTkSuQmC=
plan ahead.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the tank is drilled the under tank sumps can have an assortment of issues, a syphon break being one of them.

Yeah I'm debating on getting the overflow or just getting a drilled thank. They are roughly the same price. My only setback is that I eventually want to get bigger with the tank so buying the 55 Drilled right now would also be a waste of money if I want to upgrade 6 - 9 months down the road.

Reason for hesitation on upgrading now is I would like some more experience first before I went that route.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hefe-Weizen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
You could put a few bioballs in a nylon bag and float them in the filter. No drawbacks, it will perform similar to your fluval and will be easier to service. They also have a very high flow rate. I used the 110 years back and it kept a 55 very clear and also pumped 500 gph.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put a few bioballs in a nylon bag and float them in the filter. No drawbacks, it will perform similar to your fluval and will be easier to service. They also have a very high flow rate. I used the 110 years back and it kept a 55 very clear and also pumped 500 gph.

Took your advice, I think considering the circumstances, smartest choice.

Thanks for the time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably going to sound crazy, but I don't think my fish have ever been happier since I put the over the tank filter.

Water is definitely clearer and the everything in the tank seems to be responding well except for the eel. But he can be testy from time to time. He has been since the Tang was put in.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: