• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi,
I have a 220 tank. Switching from fowler to reef. Skimmer, sump, refugium ALL on their own pumps.

Last, but NOT least, I'm addressing water movement. I have built a closed loop with four outlets and incorporated a 1 inch SCWD. I need about 800 gph movement at each outlet.

Like everything in this hobby, if it is sold at a LFS or even an on-line aquarium supplier, it is WAY over priced because we hobbiests think that is all we can use.

I need a 5000 gph at 7 ft head pump for the loop. My question is: Has anyone EVER used a swimming pool pump for circulation? If so, how did it work. If not, WHY not??

A pump simply moves water and if it moves water we swim in then why not have it move water around a 220 aquarium?

Before you answer, just don't dismiss the idea because it's different then what you're used to. I'd appreciate answers from the guys who are able to at least plumb their own systems. If you have to hire a person to set up you fish tank because you don't know how, then I wouldn't think you're in a position to give advice on equipment set up.

Any experience using a swimming pool pump?

Thanks

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have a 220 tank. Switching from fowler to reef. Skimmer, sump, refugium ALL on their own pumps.
why, does everything need it's own pump?

I'm addressing water movement. I have built a closed loop with four outlets and incorporated a 1 inch SCWD. I need about 800 gph movement at each outlet.
I need a 5000 gph at 7 ft head pump for the loop.
Not sure. why you need 5000gph...I doubt that SCWD could handle
that much flow. How many SCWDs are running the 4 outlets?

My question is: Has anyone EVER used a swimming pool pump for circulation? If so, how did it work. If not, WHY not??
I'm sure people with BIG systems have run pool pumps...just have to make sure it's salt water safe!

Last edited:

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everything has it's own pump because they are all submersible pumps and if one breaks or malfunctions ONLY that piece of equipment is down. Return and UV sterilzer run off one pump as UV is in-line. Skimmer has own pump.

I have no experience with external pumps. This is first foray. OK, here's what I want to do. Closed loop with four outlets. One outlet in each corner of tank. Pump will be in stand 6 feet down. I ordered a Iwaki 40rlt. It's a high pressure pump rated 795 gph at 4 ft head. After ordering it I have been told that it is WAY too weak to get any flow from the 4 outlets and have been told on another site that I need a 4 to 5000 gph pump?

So, I had the idea for a pool pump because they are a dime a dozen at yard sales, flea markets, etc.

So to make it SIMPLE (I hope), knowing what I want to do WHAT pump do you guys think I need to get good flow? A koralia 4 ph is flowing 850 gph and I do NOT want 4 or 5 powerheads in my tank

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
. I ordered a Iwaki 40rlt. It's a high pressure pump rated 795 gph at 4 ft head. After ordering it I have been told that it is WAY too weak to get any flow from the 4 outlets and have been told on another site that I need a 4 to 5000 gph pump?
If your CL is 'switching' flow from 1 outlet to another, those outlets would EACH have to handle 5000gph...I doubt that your system can do that. Maybe go with Iwaki 100 rtl, about 2000gph?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
So to make it SIMPLE (I hope), knowing what I want to do WHAT pump do you guys think I need to get good flow? A koralia 4 ph is flowing 850 gph and I do NOT want 4 or 5 powerheads in my tank

There are some pretty big PH out there, which push a lot more water than the Koralia 4 850gph. The The Koralia Magnum go up to 3,250 gph and the Koralia Evolution go up to 1,400 gph. Aqueon & Coralife make PH that goes up to 2,400 gph and there are Tunzes and Vortech which have models that produce crazy flow. You can also hook most of these pumps up to water makers.

davidsea

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yes , IMO you can . Most of the pumps we use are made by the same companies that make ones we use on our tanks( EX. LIttle Giant). Far as salt on pumps ,the are made to pump water with CL2 . Most are centrifugal pumps with no metal parts exposed to water.Just read the pumps specs. Go with Quality and I believe you will be fine and save money.

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Actually SCWD will switch two outlets to two outlets,2 on each side of tank. I want each outlet at about 700 to 800 gph, same as a Koralia powerhead is rated. So yes, you're right in that only two outlets at a time will be flowing, thanks didn't think of that because I'm getting so many conflicting opinions i'm dazed and confused right now. So I guess you're right. A pump with 1600 gph at 7 ft head would work! The Iwaki I bought (hasn't arrived yet) will only produce 795 gph max).

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Davidsea, I thought it might work. Still anyone ever actually use one on a marine tank. I'd like to hear if somebody did. It would be great. I researched and see that the LATEST craze in swimming pools is "saltwater pools" and the sites say that no mods must be made to the pumps, the salt will not corrode them.

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks. I'm GLAD I don't need a huge pump! I even think my iwaki 40 rlt will work now!.. If I use two scwds so that only one corner outlet flows at one time, and put a flow accelerator on each outlet, then i should have plenty of current. I already have a few koralias in tank for current. This loop I'm making is for movement.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
.. If I use two scwds so that only one corner outlet flows at one time, and put a flow accelerator on each outlet, then i should have plenty of current.
I think, you would need 3 SCWDs to allow only 1outlet (of 4) to flow at a time. Also remember that the SCWDs will reduce flow, even more so when used in series...The better/easier way would be an Oceans Motion unit...BTW, the eductor/penductors (flow accelerators) will take up as much room as the powerheads.

Deepseabeauti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like my same problem, Ive got a 6' tank with a lot of rock work. I dont want to see power heads stuck all over the tank. So i though about doing the same thing, with seperate discharges, and one strong pump. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A LOT of you are MISSING the point! A swimming pool PUMP does NOT include the FILTER! The filter contains the sand. The Pump ( a Seperate) piece of equipment is what MOVES the water thru the sand. You would NOT be hooking the filter with the sand to your tank! You would only be using an electrical PUMP to move water. LOUD?? Have you HEARD the noise from external aquarium pumps advertised as QUIET??? This is just an EXAMPLE of HOW well big companies brainwash consumers. A LOT of us are SO brainwashed that your afraid to look into different options for saving money which is EXACTLY what these manufacturers want. The BIG thing RIGHT now are saltwater swimming pools and the SAME pool pumps used since the beginning of pools are used to move the saltwater. They WILL work on your tank. Especially if you need a BIG powerful pump to move a LOT of water and you're installing in a fish room or basement. Com'on guys, open your minds a little.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: