KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Can you possibly post a pic of the top of the tank?

Also - usually it isn't suggested to keep glass tops covering a tank as they greatly inhibit gas exchange for the tank. Are you looking to have the glass tops to keep fish from jumping out or another reason?

BigAl71

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
woah that came out really big... sorry. and no the water isnt dirty thats the rock underneath the water and the crappyness of my cellphone camera.
So the tank is a basic rectangular tank just the new ones have a center brace. So like all-glass aquarium or versa tops are 2 pieces and they sit on the center brace.

Also I am hoping to get some new lights soon and start my reef. The reason I want a top is too keep dust out and I have 3 Large dogs so I wouldnt be happy if dog hair from them rough housing got into tank.

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Attaching a pic from your optimum webmail isn't going to be viewable to anybody but yourself, and only until you log out of your email. We all see a blank post.

Also, I wouldn't worry about dust or dog hair. Unless the dogs will be swimming in your tank or sitting on your canopy, dog hair would end up more on your clothes and floor and doesn't usually fly around like dust to settle in your tank. I never heard of dust causing any issues unless MAYBE perhaps its a huge dust ball falling in which accumulated over the years and has some contaminants on the dust.

The glass would not only prevent oxygen exchange, it will also prevent evaporation to cool your tank, and also blocks a good amount of light due to the reflection, and even more once the glass gets dirty.

BigAl71

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, I wouldn't worry about dust or dog hair. Unless the dogs will be swimming in your tank or sitting on your canopy, dog hair would end up more on your clothes and floor and doesn't usually fly around like dust to settle in your tank. I never heard of dust causing any issues unless MAYBE perhaps its a huge dust ball falling in which accumulated over the years and has some contaminants on the dust.

The glass would not only prevent oxygen exchange, it will also prevent evaporation to cool your tank, and also blocks a good amount of light due to the reflection, and even more once the glass gets dirty.

So what should I worry about getting into the tank. Like for instance windex for the entertainment center or wood cleaner on coffee/end tables which arent far away. Or air freshener b.c of the dogs?

What about in winter months when you want to keep the heat in? I would like to get some kind of top like the versa tops where the back part has an open section and the front has hinged pieces to feed and access the tank or leave open to for oxygen.

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
For windex or wood cleaner, spray it on the cloth or paper towel you're using to clean and you shouldn't have a problem. I only have air freshener in the bathroom for when people use #2, not in the fish tank room.

The heat is only trapped when the lights are on (like your car when the sun is beating down on it). It raises the temp too fast from the green house effect. Even in the winter, the lights for my reef tank will be enough to keep the water warm WHILE it is on.
The only time my heater goes on in the winter is at night. Even with the glass lid, there is no green house effect without light. The glass lid at the top would only keep it warm very little. Unless you want to be ultra conservative and wrap a blanket around the tank while you're at it. The negatives really outweigh the benefits.

BUT if you're really adamant about getting the glass lid, you'll have to go to a glazier and have them cut you the glass to size since your tank style is out of production for many years, you'll be hard pressed to find any local shop that sell it.

As for the picture, you could upload to tinypic.com without an account :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
For windex or wood cleaner, spray it on the cloth or paper towel you're using to clean and you shouldn't have a problem. I only have air freshener in the bathroom for when people use #2, not in the fish tank room.

The heat is only trapped when the lights are on (like your car when the sun is beating down on it). It raises the temp too fast from the green house effect. Even in the winter, the lights for my reef tank will be enough to keep the water warm WHILE it is on.
The only time my heater goes on in the winter is at night. Even with the glass lid, there is no green house effect without light. The glass lid at the top would only keep it warm very little. Unless you want to be ultra conservative and wrap a blanket around the tank while you're at it. The negatives really outweigh the benefits.

BUT if you're really adamant about getting the glass lid, you'll have to go to a glazier and have them cut you the glass to size since your tank style is out of production for many years, you'll be hard pressed to find any local shop that sell it.

As for the picture, you could upload to tinypic.com without an account :)

+1 on what Ming said (except for that business about #2 ..lol)

You really don't want glass tops on there for all reasons mentioned above. MOST members here have other animals in their homes and don't have issues with hair in their tanks.

The oxygen exchange part is CRITICAL to a successful reef tank, please remember this!

The decision to have a reef in ones home does require some life style adjustments - such as spraying cleaners on cloths first and using 'solid' type air freshners. A glass top will not keep certain orders out of the tank - X amount of air will still get in there, so care while using any airborne product is necessary.

You should be thinking about a mesh cover for the top of the tank to keep things IN rather than out. Many of the fish we tend to keep in our homes are known jumpers, and that (IMO) is much more important (and beneficial) than a glass top that has far more negatives than positives.

BigAl71

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You should be thinking about a mesh cover for the top of the tank to keep things IN rather than out. Many of the fish we tend to keep in our homes are known jumpers, and that (IMO) is much more important (and beneficial) than a glass top that has far more negatives than positives.

Thank you all for your responses. Im glad I asked b/c a employee at local lfs said I def need a cover and if my tank has no center brace to lower the water level and pry off my current top rim and they will get me a new one with the center brace. I was like yea... I think I will go another route.

But for the most part I think a mesh cover would do for the most part what I want. Now I wouldnt think you can use like a reptile cover b.c it metal. So what would you use. Are there products sold or would this be a diy project? Also what kind of mesh could you use wouldnt the lights melt more plastic meshes say like plastic window screen?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: