• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have been experimenting with this concept and so far the small version grew an enormous amount of algae so I built one on a larger scale. It is basically just a cotton sheet suspended over my tank by an acrylic tube that has holes drilled in it which tank water drips through slowly flowing over the material then back to the tank. A light is hung in front of it. Soon, hopefully, it will be covered in algae.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This is the original experiment. This was a small sheet of cotton material draped over the algae trough. Water is not even pumped over it, it is just wet from one edge laying in the water flow inside the trough. I peeled algae from this to seed the new device. This grew in a few weeks.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That algae in the picture is on the side of the algae trough which has been there for many years. Algae grew on this piece of cotton in a few weeks and there is almost none in the algae trough which is lit with the same light and has water flowing very fast through it. So I would say, yes, algae grows much faster in air

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So it's been a week and this is what I have so far. Some streaks. The blobs are pieces of algae that I stuck on there to "seed" it but it looks like I didn't need to do that. A am not sure why it is growing in those streaks but I assume in a few weeks the thing will be covered in algae. If that is the case, I will make another piece of cloth and change it or just clean it. I don't know yet. But it seems this will grow algae much faster than a submerged screen because I added a piece of this cloth to my algae trough almost a month ago and it is just barely growing anything. This is just a test to see if the algae grows better in air and using a cloth instead of a plastic mesh. Yes, I realize I am not curing cancer, it's just a hobby and I also realize people have been making all sorts or algae scrubbers for decades. I like it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: