• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DAN-O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I can't seem to get my sun coral to open up when the lights are on. The whole thing opens up fully after my lights shut off. Is this normal? It seems
like a waste when it only opens when its dark because you can't see it.
I try target feeding it when the lights are on but it still refuses to open.
is this normal?

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
A friend gave me a frag of his and it was doing the same thing. Up until I put it in a 'cave' in my tank. It is in nearly complete shade when the lights are on and has started to come out during the day. It is just starting to come out, otherwise it would only come out about an hour after all the lights went off.

I am not sure if the shade is the reason why, but after I read about the cave coral thing, I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
My favorite Tubastrea thread (thanks Tony)

Excerpt: As mentioned previously, Tubastraea spp. are a part of the family Dendrophylliidae and do not contain Zooxanthellae and do not require light for the purpose of photosynthesis. That said, it doesn?t mean that the aquarist has to place his / her prize Tubastraea in a cave or under a ledge. The prevalent ?myths? which state that Tubastraea sp. are found in caves and overhangs, because their in-tolerant to light, is a complete fabrication. The reason these corals are found in such areas is because of nutrient levels. Caves and overhangs etc are naturally rich gathering areas for zooplankton and other small food sources, and is possibly the sole reason for the presence of Tubastraea.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I wrote a really long post late last night about sun corals..and then I fell asleep with the computer on and lost the whole thing..argh..I'll try and redo it now...though Deans post covers a good deal of it..thxs Dean ! :)

Interesting info about suncorals..
- True, they have no problem being out in full MH lighting, mine enjoy the 250's
- Each head does want to be fed individually, and preferably daily, I often feed twice a day and it makes them multiply much faster
-They will eat until they are full (if you let them)and when done, they don't allow the food to stick any longer
-Sun corals will spawn in your tank ( I don't know the mechanics of it, but they do!) Most often by growing baby polyps as offshoots of the 'mother' head, and at times you will find babies growing on other rocks within the tank
- Black & Green sun corals sometimes die suddenly for no apparant reason that anyone has figured out yet
- They seems to grow better & faster when fed mysis over cyclopeeze
- When training a sun coral to open during the day, 'tease' them with cyclopeeze (anywhere in the tank) about 5 minutes before you introduce the mysis
- The most important thing in training them to open during the day is to be VERY consistent about what time you feed them. They WILL learn to open at the same time each day
- Even if you train them..they will still open during the night
- Sun corals will rot if you leave them on the sand bed..they need to be on a rock

Mine have gotten used to me bumping into them with the baster when I feed them and they don't even bother to close up when I do as they know a meal is coming. I usually squirt some mysis into the tank before I feed to keep the fish busy, but someone is always happy to swipe a piece of mysis from the suns. If you feed as frequently as I do, that isn't an issue as there will likely be another meal the following day.

I know I forgot a couple of things and I'll come back and add them as I recall.

Enjoy your sun corals!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: