• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings.

I wanted to be sure I got this straight.

From the instruction booklet:
"Use the 5 mL mark, the lowest mark on tubes and as indicated in the drawing, for all tests. To open foil powder pillows, first tap the bottom of the foil packets on a counter or other horizontal surface then tear the top of the packet open along the tear line. Push the sides of the packet inward to open. Pour reagent from the powder pillow into sample in tubes as instructed in kit instructions.
NITRATE NITROGEN (0-1 mg/L)
1. Fill one of the color viewing tubes to the mark with the sample to be tested. Stopper the tube and shake vigorously. Empty the tube and repeat this procedure.
2. Fill the color viewing tube to the mark with the sample (if nitrite is not present) or with the pretreated sample (if nitrite is present).
3. Open one NitraVer 6 Nitrate Reagent Powder Pillow. Add the contents of the pillow to the sample to be tested. Stopper the tube and shake for three minutes. Allow the sample to stand undisturbed for an additional 30 seconds. Unoxidized particles of cadmium metal will remain in the sample and settle to the bottom of the viewing tube.
4. Pour the prepared sample into a second color viewing tube carefully so that the cadmium particles remain in the first tube.
5. Open one NitriVer 3 Nitrite Reagent Powder Pillow. Add the contents of the pillow to the sample. Stopper the tube and shake for 30 seconds. A red color will develop if nitrate is present. Allow at least 10 minutes, but not more than 20 minutes, before completing Steps 6 through 8.
6. Insert the tube of prepared sample into the right top opening of the color comparator (Prepared Sample Position in Figure 1).
7. Rinse the unoxidized cadmium metal from the color viewing tube used in Step 2. Fill to the mark with the original water sample and place in the left top opening of the comparator (Untreated Sample Position in Figure 1).
8. Hold the comparator up to a light source such as the sky, a window or lamp and view through the openings in front. Rotate the disc to obtain a color match. Read the mg/L nitrate nitrogen (N) through the scale window. To obtain the results as mg/L nitrate (N03) multiply the reading on the scale by 4.4."

So, I complete everything, and the sample is a nice dilute pink/red color.
When I measure it in the comparator, I get a 0.02-0.03 reading.
Multiply this times 4.4 to get something roughly on the 0.1 to 0.132 range.

Seems low enough. Just wanted to be sure I got it right.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: