• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

VICTORIA

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I tryed to post allready don't know where it went. What would happen if you added sodium hydroxide to raise the ph and lower the alk. I tryed it in a test buckey of water and it worked. Can I use it in my tank? Or am I asking for trouble? Thanks to anyone that answers..

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium hydroxide will raise the pH and RAISE the alkalinity, unless you added so much that you caused a significant precipitation event. In that case, calcium carbonate will come out of solution, which will lower calcium and alkalinity. The net change in alkalinity could be either up or down in that case, but I don't recommend it as a way to reduce alkalinity.

This article describes how to solve pH problems:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... 2/chem.htm

THis one describes how to deal with alkalinity and calcium problems:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

VICTORIA

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks agian Randy

I tryed what you said, stopped using bio-cal. The alk did start to come down That's the good part. but the ph also goes down. It goes from 7.9 to 8.0 in a 24 hr period. Never gets any higher. Should I worry? Everthing looks ok no stress. I'm just trying to get everything into a good range. Dkh is around 15
ph 7.9-8.0
ca 420
trates 15ppm
mag 1170 Can't seem to get this any higher either.
Do you think it could be the brand of salt I use? (Kent)
I've read a ton of articles and books on this subject. Maybe I just don't get it. I also live at 8500 ft would that make a difference? Thanks again

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high altitude would, I think, actually make the pH higher for any given alkalinity because the CO2 would be lower (assuming that the tank is at equilibrium).

One cause may be high indoor CO2. That pushes down the pH, and is a frequent problem. Check out Robert Jordan's artile on it at Advanced Aquarist.

Once the alk drops a bit, then you can start supplementing alkalinity with a high pH alkalinity supplement (like the original B-ionic or washing soda (sodium carbonate)). That will help raise the pH.

Kent salt does seem to initially run low in pH.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: