• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

saltwaterman112

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Wanted to get input on this im thinking about upgrading to a 180 gallon but i am not sure if the first floor will support this type of weight. Does anyone have any large tanks on the first or second floor and did you guys add any support. The last thing i want is for my tank to end up in the basement with a big mess. That will literally be a tank that crashed. Also is it true that 1 gallon of saltwater weight 10 pounds. If this is the case in water alone you have roughly 2000 pounds not including rock, sand equipment.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yes, you will be looking at at almost 3000lbs. if you have a sump too! I have an AGA 180 on my first floor but it is situated directly over the main I beam of my house. It goes horizontally across spreading the weight evenly across multiple beams. I sometimes ask myself if there really will be a problem. Figure 10 big guys weighing 200lbs. in line in your living room. Is the floor suppose to collapse? I would hope not.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Depends on how your place is built, age/construction/etc.
I have a 180 on a first floor over a basement with no additional support or bracing. Several factors come into play that allow me to do this without worry. I can see the floor joist and they run every 12" vs the normal 16" (I think 16" is normal). The way I wanted my tank placed is perpendiculiar to the joist so the tank is sitting on 6 of these. The tank is also against a outer load bearing wall so that also helps.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
agree with Pecan I had my 210g on the first floor with any type of support placed basically the same. I won't lie I was worried at the start but later on got someone to look at it and said wouldn't be any issue with the 300g thats another story

saltwaterman112

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
thanks all i dont want to take that risk of all that weight caving my first floor im going to hold off on this upgrade until i see what i do.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Where you are placing the tank what under it within the basement? I would go to Home depot grab 2 pair of adjustable floor jacks ( should cost $100 for the set). Some luber and some joist holders you will have all you need to support it.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
In these type of scenarios, you can always hire and engineer to check the ability of your floor to hold the weight. I know it is going a bit far and expensive, but it always a good idea to ask a professional.

Just my 2 cents.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
In these type of scenarios, you can always hire and engineer to check the ability of your floor to hold the weight. I know it is going a bit far and expensive, but it always a good idea to ask a professional.

Just my 2 cents.

So true, if you don't feel comfortable the risk involved, get someone that actually knows what they are talking about.

I seen too many bonehead setups here lately and some even called them selfs pros :Yikes:.

nemo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My 72 gallon tank is 4 feet long--enough to span perpendiculiar just shy of 4 joist near a load bearing wall. I was also concerned about the weight of my tank.
So I bought three 8 X 12's, laid it down over the floor. Put the fish tank over the 8 X 12's which now span 8 joists.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Figure 10 big guys weighing 200lbs. in line in your living room"

This called a "live load" (because it is temporary) and is completely different than a fish tank which is a "dead load" (permenant).

"I bought three 8 X 12's, laid it down over the floor"

This does nothing to strengthen the floor. The same joists are supporting the tank as before.

The strength of your floor depends on 3 things; the size of the joists AND the span and to a lesser extent the spacing between the joists. 16" is considered standard but they are also commonly spaced at 12" o.c. and (rarely) 24" o.c. Floors are designed to support a minimum pounds per square foot with a maximum deflection. Here in NJ it is 40 lbs/sf with a max deflection of 3/4". As long as the floor can support that weight with that deflection it doesn't matter if the joists are 2x4, 2x8, 2x10 or 2x12.

Shortening the span is the easiest way to increase the load capacity of your joists. Putting a supporting beam below the joists and supporting it with columns is the safest and easiest way to reinforce your floor if you have a basement below your tank.

Wood floor joists rarely fail in a sudden catastrophe. They will start to sag over time if the weight is to much. If your worried about your floors supporting the weight you can pull a string (mason's line) next to the joist even with the the bottom edge. Then watch the joist, if it starts to dip below the string line over time you know you need to reinforce the floor.

Hope that helps. If you're still worried hire an engineer.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: