• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

metronil

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about the past 2 weeks one of my clowns has gotten sicker and sicker. I have not seen it eat, it seems weak but does swim around at times and seem to have strength. The belly and areay around the face and gills are sunk in. There is a red spot betwen the pec fins, looks like a blood blister of sorts...

It almost acts like its dying of old age. Swim around then falls to the bottom, lays on its side. Then it will swim around some more as if its fine. This is a 90 gal reef, and has been up for years. Never had any problems with disease before. Only have 5 fish and 100lbs of live rock and coral. Catching it is going to be hard, i will have to remove the rock i imagine. However if its bacterial infection can it get to the other fish. They are showing no worse for wear...I dont want to treat with medicines. Should i go ahead and just get it out and? Some days are better than others fo rhte fish, it has to be eating its been weeks im sure if it werent eating it would have died by now.

Ive been doing 20% water changes about every week since i noticed the trouble. What are the chances it will spread to the other fish?

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it is a bacterial infection. You should try to remove him to a QT a medicate with a product like neomycin although it appears to be on its last legs.
When the fish dies or even is disabled, other fish may peck on it with the result that the bacterial can be transmitted.

metronil

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what i thought. Just needed a second opinion.

I will remove it tonight, im sure the stress of capture and quarantine will finsih him off. It just sucks though, after having this tank for 5 years ive NEVER had a fish die from disease or any illness, I have had a few jumpers but thats about it. It must have been the stress of moving the reef into a new 90 gal tank and then a few months later moving inot a new house.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: