Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not sure if this is the correct area for this, but here we go :)

About 5-7 years ago when I was dismantling my systems I met a few guys in Westchester County (maybe Scarsdale or Hartsdale) that were into Koi ponds. I’m in the planning phase of a pond and would love to talk to them. If anyone knows who these guys are it would be a great help if you could pass along their info.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
26   0   1
I would figure out the size you want and then decide if you are able and willing to dig a hole that big. If not the decision has been made to hire someone.

If it's a koi pond, then you should shoot for a four foot depth. Koi appreciate the depth but much deeper makes maintenance more difficult. Figure how much you want to spend, a liner is the cheapest method but shotcrete or fiberglass are, IMO, nicer/more permanent but a few magnitude more in price and not really DIY unless you really handy.

How do you want it to look? Is it in a safe place where children and pets wont be able to get into it? I lost a chihuahua during a cold snap due to freezing.

Depending on size I would plan on spending at least $5000 for even a small pond and appropriate filtration and honestly that would be a small pond with simple filtration and landscaping using what is already on site. I've a large waterfall and the entire pond is lined with large river rocks, I don't even want to think about what the stone alone would end up costing right now.

You'll also need a power hook up so plan on hiring an electrician for a few 20 amp lines as well.

Check out Koiphen and YouTube for more info. Feel free to message me if you've any questions.

Drew

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i wouldnt buy a kit. figure out the size you want and go minimum of 5' deep , so herring cant get your koi. i rented a kabota to dig the hole, its all rock here. i think i would put a bottom drain if i did it again. i added a remote bottom drain and it really helps keep the bottom clean. i would go with a liner personally and leave the bottom with no rocks for simple maintenance. i did everything myself. including running electric. only had a help to lay the liner. too much to write so if you have questions pm me your #

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: