• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a great picture, but one that has a story behind it:

chevy1.jpg

I've had this Chevron for about 5 years now. I got it while it was a tiny 1" juvenile with bright orange coloration. For about half a year, I thought I had lost this tang, only to find that it had slipped through the overflow grids and lived off the algae in the overflow for that duration. Needless to say, I was very surprised and happy to find it healthy (and bigger).

Now, it's obviously transitioning to an adult. The camera captures a lot of the vibrance that it still has, although it's not nearly as gaudy as it once once.

See the little hole in the middle of his rear (caudal) fin? Well, that was caused by a fishhook. 8O Lemme explain:
I learned the hard way that Twin-spot ("Fuji") wrasses are not reef-safe. About 8 years ago, I got suckered into buying a cute little twin-spot wrasse. 4 years later, it balloned to a 5" beast that attacked other fish and clams. I tried traps, nets, etc ..... all to no avail. I finally turned to hook-n-bait (barbless hook, of course). Well .... guess who got caught first? :P And not once, mind you, but twice. The Chevron took the bait before I could tug away the line fast enough, and I caught him the first time by the mouth. I quickly released him, only to find that Chevrons are rather stupid (note: at this point, all the other fish learned to avoid the baited hook). This fella decides to charge the bait again, and as I tugged the line away, the hook accidently snatched his caudal fin. Luckily, it freed itself after a few violent jerks. But to this day, that hole has never quite healed. You'll be happy to learn that the Chevron is doing very well, and I did eventually get the Twinspot out with the hook and bait.

The adventures in reefkeeping :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shot, and a good story to go with!

So I'm assuming that the chevron has been a good buy for you, huh? ;-) I'd love to try one some day, but definitely need a bigger tank first. :?

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning a Chevron for a couple years....I have to lmao...

They are not nearly as STOOPID as their kin-kissing-kole cousins.... :lol:

I just moved mine (removed the KOLE) and it looked like I had grated it over a cheese grater 8O ...from the rock abrasions and netting stress...

but he's a happy guy in his new digs. 8) Awesome mouth on those guys...mine has nori caught between his teeth tonite.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: