• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on growing out micromussa sp., is it best to place them on the sandbed? I guess the question is, will they form their own base as they grow or require something to encrust over?

I have a little collection going on here :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not answering your damn question until I see pics of your whole tank.

Peace,

Chip :P

Charlesr1958

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine any coral that uses encrusting as a growth form would do better if they had something to encrust onto. Being on a sandbed, they may extend out a few corallites but it would end up being thin plates easily broken off.

Chuck

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1xwwx1d0 said:

Oh, please...you can take pics of that stupid Powder Blue, but not all your cool corals? Something's up here, folks...I'll be he doesn't even HAVE a tank. Those pics are all from Nico's tank.

Peace,

Chip :P

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are mounted to small rocks for plugs, but they're growing quickly and some of them are running out of real estate. I'll probably buy a rock, crush it into pieces, and lay the micromussa frags on the rubble and let them grow over.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree...one of my newer acquisitions keeps sliding off the rubble I have it placed on, and it's the only unmounted frag I have. It'll be mounted tonight, that's for sure.

Peace,

Chip

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My micromussa frags are secured/glued onto rubble rock or plugs right now. They're just growing to the edges of their original mounting pieces though, so I either have to let it grow out on its own (form its own base), let it grow on to a big piece of rock (not an attractive idea to me when it comes time to frag), or place other small rocks around it for it to grow onto.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len, my Cyphastrea ocellina from Atlantis is now long gone (lost it a few moves ago), but I did mount that one twice as it outgrew its first plug. Most encrusting corals you can mount as they grow, so I couldn't worry too much about it as long as it's mounted to begin with.

Peace,

Chip

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: