• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

geeflipr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrew, I passed that info and link on to Eric in chat yesterday. Hopefully you all will be successful in thwarting this.

ATJ

Old Sea Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the Australian Federal Minister for the Envirnoment (the one who wouldn't sign the Kyoto agreement on Global Warming) is attemping to shut down the fish and coral fisheries on the Great Barrier Reef. This is against all scientific advice which shows that the fisheries are not only sustainable but are quite well managed.

For more information, please visit Reefing the Australian Way: The Future of the Hobby

Eric, if there is anyone you know personally in the scientific community over here that you think could help, please let me know. I have sent a note to Laura, Charlie Veron's personal assistant.

ATJ

Old Sea Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug,
Thanks for the help and support.

Ironically, Charlie Veron has suggested I send a copy of Eric's book to Senator Hill. Hill knows Charlie and Charlie's Forward in the book sums up the value of corals in the aquarium. Only problem is getting another copy of Eric's book. At the very least I may send a photocopy of the title page and the Forward - if that's OK with Eric.

Eric Borneman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrrew:

I have been in touch with Dallas on this issue, and presented him with a list of names, the Discussion paper #10 by Sian Breen on coral collection, and lots of contacts and information. I suggest you drop him an email or go to his page and see what's being done. Email me if you need more help or information. My major point to Dallas and regarding the issue is paraphrased on the page.
http://ozreef.org/rtaw/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000015

Eric

ATJ

Old Sea Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric,
Thanks. I am in daily contact with Dallas and he mentioned he had been in contact with you.

I am one of the Admins on Dallas' BB and was actually the one that created that forum to which you pointed.
icon_wink.gif

Eric Borneman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he send you Sian's, Randall's, Vicki's, and and Lyle's contact information?

I also spoke with Kirsten Kramasrky-Waegner today at length. Apparently Vicki Harriott has a nice paper out, too, and I don;'t think you have a lot to worry about...electoral issue, so it seems and a feel good stand that probably won;t wash. FWIW, Kirsten replaced Paul Hough at the GBRMPA aquarium and has several papers on soft coral toxicity, including a few in the recent issues of Coral Reefs.

Eric

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: