• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I opened up Eric's PowerPoint lecture this afternoon and left it to print the 54 pages while I went out. When I returned, I had a dozen or so pages printed out; a dry ink cartridge ($30
frown.gif
) and a stack of wasted paper!
frown.gif

the blue background sucks up ink like a sponge and there is very little text on each page for the amount of $$$ink required.

A

Anonymous

I've seen Powerpoint presentations and there's usually pics to go with the text and blue backgrounds.

In view of D*ckV's troubles, is there a program we need to download in order to use Power Point presentations? And if that's the case, why weren't we informed? For all that some of you like to tease us stone-age computer users it still would have been nice to let us know
wink.gif
My reef is the reason I took this class, not my computer, lol. Sorry if I'm displaying my puter ignorance yet again.

~Alice

A

Anonymous

James I hate to be another whiner but I downloaded the power point presentation as it was on MACO at 7pm PDT and it printed out 54 pages of ink hungry backgroud text. This was on the laser printer at work with a 750K DSL line and it took over 30 min to scan and print. To say I should have printed the lecture and other materiel is an understatement. Bummer you dont care for the tone of the thread but some of us still dont have the Books, required or otherwise and its really hard to do web searches to try and sty on top of the class without the scanned material. Sorry if you are put out. Not all of us had weeks to prepare and are struggling along as it is. Thanks for your continuing efforts
Doug

A

Anonymous

The powerpoint presentation was converted to a .pdf as requested and is in the same format as everything else. I managed to convert it from 10 megabytes to 430 kilobytes, which was also requested.

I'm sorry if you had trouble printing out the presentation - how about printing it on a laser printer in black and white? That would take about 1 minute and would use almost no toner. That is what I would do and what I suggest for others. Just plan ahead.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the tone of this thread. I read through the presentation today, (Which I also saw presented at wmc2000) and I am amazed at how much careful research and preparation went into that presentation. I hadn't anticipated Eric giving you all a copy of this presentation as part of MACO and I was sort of expecting a "thank you Eric" response, instead of a "this is a pain, why weren't we informed" response.

That's my 2 cents worth in any case,
James

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

James,

The problem is that, although the presentation is absoluteoy wonderful, and I appreciate having the opportunity to view it (Thanks Eric!) It is not is a printable format for most programs based on the original .ppt format converted to .pdf format. I even attempted to copy/import/cut and paste, (you name it) to work around the problems, but I don't have enough expertise with Adobe files to convert it back to .ppt presentations (Powerpoint would not recognize the charts or images). If it had been uploaded in Powerpoint, it would be convertable to a black and white format that could even be changed back to the original outline format and printed as a text file without the backgrounds. I don't think that folks are ungreatful, just that whey want the info in a usable, printable mode, rather than a user un-friendly format that is difficult to make into a usable, printable document. (it will print, don't get me wrong, but it will suck up a good amount of toner, even in the black and white Lexmark 4039 monster that I have here.) Would be nice to have the "notes" form of the powerpoint presentation, ie, the thumbnail pix with lines of text next to the boxes. Folks are NOT complaining that the info or the presentation is bad, just that for those of us that print the info and take it with us to our real jobs to read for lunch, etc, this is not something we can use. (I CAN read it at home on the puter, though!)

Thanks for what you do for us, I know this process is still in the infancy of getting MACO on the map. This is a learning experience for everyone, so don't take the criticisms personally, it is just feed back from the fish geeks, and we are trying hard not to be too nerdy... heh heh heh!

Later, Tom

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your kind words Tom. This is my first time doing this as well. I will try making PDF's of the "Outline View" of the powerpoint presentation, but can't guarentee anything RE format...it was made with a MAC, so no guarentees...It all depends on if it translated properly from MAC...
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
...it was made with a MAC, so no guarentees...It all depends on if it translated properly from MAC...

Heh! THAT means we will NEVER see it!!!! heh heh heh heh!

He said,"MAC" and "computer..." hehehehehheh ...in the same sentence... heh heh heh!~!!!!

A

Anonymous

Let's stay away from comments about the Mac, OK? It is the preferred platform for fashion designers, web designers and content creators. Even Microsoft uses a Mac for their logos!

Back to Coral Biology. I just read the lecture using Adobe Acrobat (yes, on my Mac) and it was perfectly readable. I understand the frustration of those who want to print, but I gave up on the the first lecture...

Eric Borneman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, but if you have PowePpoint, you can just change the backjground to plain white using the application. For printing, I am sure most of you haved a "print grayscale" or "black and white" command on your printing application.

This is also a reason I hate inkjet printers and use mine only when absolutely necessary.

Eric

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric,

They can't do that because it is not a powerpoint presentation. The powerpoint presentation you sent me was 10 megs, so I converted it to PDF so that the students would be able to download it (340k).

The PDF format is fixed (postscript) and can't be changed, sorry to say.

HTH
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: