• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone

So, a lot of you spent a lot of time on the quiz this week and said it was hard. However, congratulations on the number of people who got numbers 2,5 right!! I just sent in the quiz analysis for uploading.

With that in mind, I wanted to talk about this a bit.

For question 1, a lot of you put answer choice d), polyp shape.

In the lecture, the following appears:

<<Step 5. Note characteristics of the polyp tissue. Are the tentacles unique or used in taxonomy (for example, Plerogyra spp., Euphyllia spp., Alveopora v. Goniopora spp.)?
Is the coloration at all possible to use in distinguishing likely genera (e.g. Halomitra v. Sandalolitha spp., Tubastraea spp.). Is tentacle development present (e.g Pachyseris spp.)? Are the polyps extended by day or by night and are they clear or colored? (e.g Pectinia spp. v. Montipora spp.)? How many mouths are present(e.g. Fungia spp. v. Polyphyllia spp.)? Are mouths in a row or equally distributed (e.g Herpolitha sp. v. Polyphyllia sp.)?
>>

In classical taxonomy, skeletal characteristics are determininate. However, polyp tissue is used even in classic taxonomy, and this is especially true of Euphyllia, where the skeletons can be identical and polyps are the determining factors.

Also, with regard to not picking b) presence of a corallum, some mentioned that the corallum is used in taxonomy. Yes, it is; but the presence of it is not...Scleractinia all have a corallum.

For question 2, a couple of you picked Leptastrea, and/or other Faviidae. No wonder it took a long time to work through this if you went to Group B. What was it that made you choose Group B over Group A? It had to be the groove? If you look at the photo, there is certainly a space between the corallites. What part of this was confusing so we can clariy it?

Questions 3,4 seemed to have gone well, and then we had a number of people answr Porites for 5, although I am proud of the many of you who got the correct answer e) Seriatopora.

Please explain why you chose Porites if you have questions on it. I would love to go through the characters on the key that some of you may have had questions about....I am also about to take soem pictures in response to Andrews request for more pictorial viess of skeletal features for everyone's benefit.

good job, overall, guys....I just want to make sure everyone is clear on the material before we move on (or ass we move on!)

Eric

A

Anonymous

Eric...
I chose Leptastrea, but in the key I followed in the lecture, it's in Group A, #19 not in GroupB. I'm trying to compare the progression I used to the one you gave in the correct answer to see where I went wrong.
D*ckT

A

Anonymous

so it is...let me know when you find the wrong turn you took to get there.

eric

A

Anonymous

Eric..
I really blew it on #1. Please don't kick me out of the class.
Re:b of #1.EIS, p 260, para 3 says "Species identification in Scleractinia relies mainly on general corallum (i.e., skeleton) morphology, and specifically on morphological attributes of the coral corallites (i.e.,skeletons of individual polyps).
This statement led me to believe corallum differences are important and that various morphs could be an identification clue, so I discarded "b" as an answer. WRONG AGAIN!!
D*ckT

A

Anonymous

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I have only just realised that there is a 3rd choice for question 13 in Group A. No wonder I couldn't get any close matches.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: