• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

32Bit_Fish

I do w/c twice a week (15% each) and I dont have a skimmer.

Can I do less frequent w/c if I have a skimmer running on my tank?

I've heard running a skimmer is not a replacement for w/c. So why people use a skimmer?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yeah you could do weekly changes 10-20%. I wouldnt go much over 20% at a time though, but why not do the same changes WITH a skimmer? Dont get a skimmer to get you to put in less maintenance- get a skimmer to get your water quality that much better.

A skimmer removes the fish waste and organics from building up in your water all the "proteins" Once you have a skimmer- a good one going youll see all the nasty stuff it pulls out after its broken in and wish you had one from the beginning.

Last edited:

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I always thought 20% a month was good but it depends on your tank. If you do 10% a week your corals will love you LOL. I've always done 10% every 2 weeks or 20% a month with no problem but not much load on my tank. I had a 10 gal nano set up , no skimmer , and did 1 gallon a week on that which is 10%.
But 10 to 15% twice a week I think is a bit much. I always check the nitrates to see where they are after the W/C which will give you a good idea on how much you need to do.

Last edited:

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Oh, good to know. So I have been doing too much w/c.

I have two clownfish and a fathead anthia in my 38g with CPR HOB Aquafuge and a Whisper HOB filter.

I dont think it's too much bio-load. I feed the fish frozen brineshrimp and mysis once a day.

My nitrate has been always at zero.

So 15% w/c weekly is fine?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: