• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jmsandy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if someone could give me advice on the mechanics/suggestions of moving not only my tank/stand/sump, etc but also my livestock down (with an elevator) to the 2nd floor of my apartment. This will be quick and everything will be up and running as soon as it gets there I just need practical advice on how to do it.

FYI: I have a cart (like you see at hotels for luggage) to roll the equipment on.

- It is a 54 corner tank with a 20 gallon sump. It is reefready so it has a durso, etc. Protein Skimmer is in the sump as well as a refugium with two pumps (one for skimmer and one for UV). A mangrove tree is growing in the refugium. Baffles then separate the refugium from the Mag 7 return pump.

- I have 60 lbs of liverock, two beloved clowns, two corals (mushrooms and zoo polyps), a royal gramma, and a lubock wrasse.

Of course I plan on removing 2/3 of hte water before the move but was wondering if I should leave hte fish in the tank during hte move (it will literally be 15 min) or take them out and put them in a heated bucket with an air pump and thermometer.

The move is not until April so I have some time and I figured it would be easier to do it all at once but I suppose I could do it in sections as well but then I would have issues (like I cannot take the sump out unless I remove the tank itself.

I have heard that the tank tends to crack if you move it with water in it? All of your advice would be most helpful, thank you in advance..

John

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't try to move it with water or anything else heavy in it (maybe an inch or so of substrate, but I wouldn't).

You'll need buckets and/or large tubs, something to move the water for the livestock while they're waiting for you to set everything up. Be ready for new cycling with the live rock, especially if you have sponges and the like as residents.

A lot's been written on this, do a search on "moving tank" and select the radio button "search for all terms", then select to show as posts (unless you want to see the whole topic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound strange...but can you get a hose from the tank to the new apartment via the outside windows? If so

I would get plenty of buckets, put all the live rock in the buckets fully submerged. Put fish in a bucket of their own. Have enough buckets or tubs to take all the rest of the tank water in the new apartment, siphon it down to the new apartment. Move the tank with the sand in it only and carefully, if you can get it through the doorway. DO the same with the refugium. This way your cycle if any will be really short since you didnt expose the rock too much.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea....now is a great time to "upgrade" to a larger tank and it would make it alot easier...... :wink: :wink:

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-2 days before:
Make enough fresh saltwater to fill your tank back up from empty.

Day of:
Remove enough tank water to fill your rock and livestock buckets.
Remove the coral, then the rocks, and then catch the fish. Place them in your livestock buckets.
Stir up the sand really well and siphon out all that nasty gunk that was in the sand.
Scoop out the sand and rinse it out really well to get even more nasty gunk out of it.
Move the now empty tank down to the 2nd floor.
Put your now clean sand in the tank.
Fill you tank part way up with clean saltwater, add rock, top off the tank the rest of the way.
Once the temperature is stable add the fish and corals.

Later:
Be prepared to do a partial water change a day or two later to take care of any cycle. Use the extra water you prepared and have left over from the move.

scifi_3d_zoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll have any major cycling issues. I've done this a few times with none. HOWEVER, my tank was years old and pretty well establish. As long as you're using a tank that's at least maybe 2-3 years old... using same rock (not keeping it out of water for too long... less than 12 hours)... using same water. After it's all done you'll probably need some RO/DI water anyway... but that's a good time to do a 10% water change. Without filtration waste can build up.. but my tank was down for 8 hours while I drilled rocks. Everything has an amazing way of surviving. And I certainly never had any cycling.

BUT... I would be more worried about the tank leaking. One time I did this and moved it to another location.. set it all back up... then it leaked a few months later. So I had to break it down... avoid breaking my neck from water on the floor, etc. And potentially lose everything too. Tanks are CHEAP. I'll never do that again. I always just buy a new tank. It's cheap compared to everything else... and a lot less than all my livestock. The tank is just under ENORMOUS amounts of pressure... then you empty it and it comes back in from being pushed out for a long time... then we put it all back in again and it's under great forces again. IF you can't afford this I would make sure there's very little water in there when you move it... make sure it's move VERY very carefully with great care. I guess what happened to me was a tiny little break in the seal between glass plates. I guess the good thing about that thank god was a little crack only leaking 10 gallons over night.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: