• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mikef1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those bulbs probably have a very low kelvin rating and would cause unwanted algae. But thats just my guess.

KookyNewky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says they produce 6500k and I guess its true according to most of the sites selling them. Other sites say it is really a 65w PC bulb and fixture but they can be bought at homedepot for much less than this ebayer is selling them for.

KookyNewky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and here is what it is...

A work light that does infact produce 6500k color light. It is not really 500w though. It is as suspected a 65w PC fixture that produces light comparable to a 500w lamp. At the manufacturer's site they are selling them for 35$ each. There are several versions of this light including a waterproof one. Check out the Lights of America site if you're interested.

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/wl.htm

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read the description: "The output of this light is 500 Watts, but only uses 65 Watts of electricity." Isnt the output generally equal to the input? Who rated the 500 watt output. spend the extra 100 bucks and buy a MH retro kit. There is so much junk peddled by ebay that sometimes it looks like a flea market. dont get me wrong, sometimes there are really good buys, but most of the time its all booboo. my .02

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>....There is so much junk peddled by ebay that sometimes it looks like a flea market. ...

The mere fact that it says "500 Watt Fluorex Grow Light SUPER INTENSE !!" in the title is misleading, and that is enough to prevent me from bidding, IMHO. Go with someone that *really* know what they are talking about instead of using a big number in the title to get people to waste their time and spend a few seconds on the description.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There used to be quite a few "pc" fans around here, not sure where they all went

personally I hate pc's, I would go MH or VHO

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with PC, in fact, I use them.

It is the way they make up the title for the auction that makes me want to outbid everybody, and send no money.

SpecialK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried these lights! I put 2 of them over my 90 gallon for 6 months, my corals did ok. I watched them very close. I than put 2 - 4oo watt MH and 6 actinics over the same tank and with in 3 weeks I could see a diff. in the corals. It was a noticable diff.
I did not have any sps corals in the tank, I kept leathers, mushrooms, ricordias and so on.
I did however keep a large carpet (haddoni) with these lights and never had a problem. I also did not battle with alage until the MH went on the tank.
Hope this helps.

Kaye

fredso2003

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMA metal halides are worth the buck! I looked at the item on e-bay and it is not a true 500 watt at all.just my opi :lol: nion

melanotaenia1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah guess I am the only one left here who like the PC lights, I still use them, I mean they are expensive and hot and I need like 8 of them. I guess it is personal preference, but if I had to do it again I would probably go with something along the line of MH/PC combo.

I got my PC off Ebay by the way and they work great, just gotta know who you are dealing with..........

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work great over a fuge, but for pity's sake buy it at Home Depot or Costco where they're only $20.

SpecialK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine at walmart, but the MH have made a diff. in the corals. Even in the coloring of everything.

kaye

KookyNewky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info K.
In one of the posts I had to this thread I put a link to the Lights of America site. They are the maufacturer of the product and are only charging $35 each for these things. If you do the math 3 of these 65w PC lights at $35 each would be $105 plus $10 for shipping. If you were to buy a 2x92w retro kit from hello lights, which would be comparable in PC light production, Your price tag would be $235 plus shipping. Why pay over $100 more for something that is less wattage and needs for you to make or customize a hood?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fixtures have been around for years - I use one over my fuge. They're fine for fuge lighting, but personally I find the light way too yellow for main tank lighting. The color is not too bad when the lamp is new, but gets dimmer and yellower with time. I think they'd be OK for lighting a nano, but you'd want to clean-up the look with some actinic.

The shape of the lamp and the poor reflector are not the greatest at getting intense light into the tank. IMO a similar wattage PC lamp in a good reflector gets a lot more light to your corals. These units are really not comparable to quality aquarium lighting.

If you're interested in trying one of these units - as mentioned above - just check out your local Home Depot or Walmart.

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them to light my back yard :lol: . Bought mine at Home Depot.

I thought about using them for my tank but my wife bought me a Custom Sealife PC.

I was going to suppliment them with 2 NO or VHO Actinic.

Look to replace the bulbs frequently. They lose intensity over time (~1/2 in 6 months).

KookyNewky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your from around here Chris.

I think I am going to start with 3 of these for now for my 46 bow. Right now I am using 2 hoods both with NO lighting. The total wattage between the 2 fixtures is about 100w. Anything is a step up from there I think. I'll probably keep my actinic blue lamps running with them for asthetics and the sunrise/set simulation. I eventually will break down and go with the MH setup once I have the funds but for right now this looks like my only cost effective solution.

Thanks to all for the input.

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure and drill some holes for ventilation in the housing, the ballast gets pretty hot and they burn out quickly (mine just gave out tonight over the fuge at 2 months of 10 hr./day).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: