• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ded08221

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of will i be looking at for a 55g? i have a crushed coral bed, i don't know if that makes any difference. also, what are the price ranges? i'm looking for a good one, but easy on the pocket everyone. :wink:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good skimmers will run around $200-300. It's better and cheaper to buy right the first time then to upgrade later on. Are you looking for a hang-on skimmer or do you have a sump? There are many good choices.

dakine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the CPR BakPak2 for about 2 months now and it works like a charm. I changed the powerhead that came with it (Rio 600) to a MaxJet. I've placed it on the back of my sump and also on the back of the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for your tank you are looking around 2 bills...for an aqua C or a bak pak 2r...those work relatively well for the size tank you have...but Len is 100% right...you might wanna go a bit more price...

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 55, the AquaC Remora (regular) with the MaxiJet upgrade runs around $160. When you add the surface skimming box accessory, that pushes you up to about $200.

I have a Remora Pro with the Mag3 upgrade on a 120g (with surface skimming box), and it seems to keep my tank happy (that, and all the live rock, live sand, etc.)

I have heard that seaclones should be left alone.

For the 100g, get an in-sump skimmer as opposed to a hang-on-tank. I've heard good things about the AquaC Urchin, but have no personal experience.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with hdtran. Aqua C remora pro is an awesome skimmer and the remora is probably the ideal backpack skimmer for your tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Remora Pro

I like it, wouldn't trade it for anything

Bryan

psiico

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 55 I'd say the Remora from what I've read. I can tell you more next week when mine comes, I just ordered one.

For a 100 gallon with sump I'd buy a Euro-Reef if it was me. From what I've heard they can't be beat. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

buoymarker28

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. My last tank was one of the older DAS tanks and the protein skimmer was pretty basic at best.

this next tank is going to have a wetdry sump and it's going to be my 1st venture into the world of protein skimmers.

Is the Euro Reef a venturi skimmer?

Dubge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euro Reef.....I recently bought one and I am amazed by what it pulls out of my tank even set for wet skimmate, the water is still black on the lowest setting......my last few posts have been about Euro Reef, I should be put on there payroll :)

Ray

silly34

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of skimmers. I have a SeaClone 150. Really easy to setup and works great but I just finished cleaning it and now it doesn't foam. It bubbles just fine and at the top of the water column it is making foamy like bubbles but nothing really happening in the collection cup. I am hoping that my tank is in just good shape and it isn't having to do very much.

Cheers.

B.

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silly34 said:
Speaking of skimmers. I have a SeaClone 150. Really easy to setup and works great but I just finished cleaning it and now it doesn't foam. It bubbles just fine and at the top of the water column it is making foamy like bubbles but nothing really happening in the collection cup. I am hoping that my tank is in just good shape and it isn't having to do very much.

Cheers.

B.[/quote
You do know SeaClone has the nickname"SuckClone".....

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ded0822":2rahpash said:
what kind of will i be looking at for a 55g? i have a crushed coral bed, i don't know if that makes any difference. also, what are the price ranges? i'm looking for a good one, but easy on the pocket everyone. :wink:

For a hang-on a Remora Pro is a good choice IMO (around $225). For an in-sump model I'd go with one of the smaller Euro-Reef models. The smaller ES model Euro-Reefs are right around $200 - very reasonable for a good skimmer.

buoymarker28":2rahpash said:
speaking of skimmers what would you suggest on a 100gal with sump underneath?

Personally I'd use one of the beckett models or a Euro-Reef. The ES series (Euro-Reef) is one to look at if you're trying to keep the price down.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: