• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

i am looking a getting a canon 10d. but know nothing about lenses.. canon as a 28-200mm lens for 'bout $450. what do you think?

i can get the body for about $1300 and then the lens for $450..

should i get the battery grip too.? i want a good setup. i am gonna use this for work too.. (tax write off)

let me know?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can swing it, go for it. The 10d takes Canon EF lenses. So ANY canon slr lens will fit.-Including lenses made for canon's by other companies. since regular film cameras are slowly going out, A lot of people are trading them in for digitals. You can get some great deals.

$1300 sounds a bit low for a 10 d. they are still around $1500. Make sure you're buying one with a USA warranty, not a grey (overseas) warranty. Having to send your really expensive camera to taiwan to get fixed really sucks. Buy it from a reputable source and you shouldn't have any problem. Just remeber to ask which it is.

Okay, a quick lens rundown:
The cost of the lens is greatly dependent on apature (f/stop) rather than focal length. So, a 28-80 mm lens is about $275 with a 3.5 aperature. with an aperature of 2.8, the price jumps to $1300 for the same focal length. And it's a LOT bigger lens. So, for almost 5 times the price, you get twice the light hitting the film.

So, your 28-200 is a great starter lens for the price. Also, remember that other manufacturer's lenses fit the EOS system. Tamron and Sigma make great lenses as well. (and they're a little cheaper than the Canon's)

HTH
B

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lens lesson... I was searching PricePulse.com.

they have a retailer that has a 10d for $1000.00. Red flags went up for me too when i was thinking grey-market.

so. i will let you know....

Len... chime in here anytime....

keep the info comming...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":2piabm98 said:
If you can swing it, go for it. The 10d takes Canon EF lenses. So ANY canon slr lens will fit.-Including lenses made for canon's by other companies. since regular film cameras are slowly going out, A lot of people are trading them in for digitals. You can get some great deals.

$1300 sounds a bit low for a 10 d. they are still around $1500. Make sure you're buying one with a USA warranty, not a grey (overseas) warranty. Having to send your really expensive camera to taiwan to get fixed really sucks. Buy it from a reputable source and you shouldn't have any problem. Just remeber to ask which it is.

Okay, a quick lens rundown:
The cost of the lens is greatly dependent on apature (f/stop) rather than focal length. So, a 28-80 mm lens is about $275 with a 3.5 aperature. with an aperature of 2.8, the price jumps to $1300 for the same focal length. And it's a LOT bigger lens. So, for almost 5 times the price, you get twice the light hitting the film.

So, your 28-200 is a great starter lens for the price. Also, remember that other manufacturer's lenses fit the EOS system. Tamron and Sigma make great lenses as well. (and they're a little cheaper than the Canon's)

HTH
B

Awesome info. Maybe someday I'll be able to talk my wife into letting us afford a DSLR. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkky":3uew2nbo said:
Awesome info. Maybe someday I'll be able to talk my wife into letting us afford a DSLR. :wink:

Thanks.

Isn't your wife in Switzerland? Why didn't she take you? I Think you should get a new camera as consolation prize!

(I didn't forget about the photo handouts, I just haven't found time to copy them!)

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":izsvb0qf said:
Sharkky":izsvb0qf said:

Thanks.

Isn't your wife in Switzerland? Why didn't she take you? I Think you should get a new camera as consolation prize!

(I didn't forget about the photo handouts, I just haven't found time to copy them!)

B

Yeah, she is in switzerland for the week. I probably would have gone, but we took our vacation to cancun earlier this summer, so that kind of shot the travel budget all to hell. Plus with the new tank in and all that, there just wasn't the money this time around. I did sneak out and buy the tusk while she was gone, though. Taht's my consolation prize. hehehehe!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, had to get Canon, didn't you? ;) I'm a Nikon photog myself so I only have limited experiences with the Canon system.

For aquarium photography (and product shots if that's what you're using it for), you really need macro lenses. Canon's 50mm macro is affordable and a must. If you can dish out the dough, the 100mm macro would be a nice compliment.

As for the price of faster lens (referring to those with bigger aperatures), their cost is definitely disproportionate to the amount of light that can reach the film/sensor, but they are far sharper and sturdier lenses. Manufacturers put a lot more R&D as well as better glass/parts in these faster lenses which accounts for their price and size. More expensive lenses will usually have less geometry problems and chromatic abberations. My philosophy with lenses is to get the best one you can afford. Lenses retain their value relatively well (unlike camera bodies) and they arguably more important then camera bodies; Bodies come and go, but lenses stay in your bag for years/decades.

The battery/vertical grip isn't necessary, but it's nice to have for extending shooting and/or vertical shooting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: