• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rick778

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for a protein skimmer for a 14 gal Oceanic Bio Cube? I know they make one specifically for this tank, but don't know if it is any good.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll get varied suggestions based on personal preferences/pricing, even shape, heh ;)

there are generally two types-completely in tank, or hob (hang on back)

i think the tunze nano skimmer is excellent

a remora would also be a good choice

these might be a tad 'old school' what with alot of newer manufacturers of nano skimmers futzing about these days-i'm sure more will chime in

BallPy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat. But I am looking for something to fit a 2g tank. Not very easy to find something that isnt the same size as the tank.

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":epv8zia9 said:
you'll get varied suggestions based on personal preferences/pricing, even shape, heh ;)

there are generally two types-completely in tank, or hob (hang on back)

i think the tunze nano skimmer is excellent

a remora would also be a good choice

these might be a tad 'old school' what with alot of newer manufacturers of nano skimmers futzing about these days-i'm sure more will chime in

+1

maressa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
The Euroreef nanoskimmers are now out with Alloy MEsh wheel technology. I have one on my RedSea Max tank and this thing is AWESOME! It pulls out more crap then my Deltec MEC600 ever did!
They make them for all different size tanks too! Here's a picture of the skimmer cup after 2 days! My MAx skimmer could not pull this out in two weeks!!!

IMG_2332.jpg

The mesh wheel generates tons of foam! About a 15 inch tall wall of it in my skimmer!
:mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Is there a way to indicate that a sponsor is posting? :?

I'm sure it's a great little skimmer, but it might be a good idea to indicate that you're also selling them as well as reviewing them. :wink:

maressa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tom,
Yes, we have been a reefs.org sponsor for years! www.globeaqua.com You can view more pics on our Global Aquarium Sponsor page as well.
We are hobbyists too! This skimmer is running on our Max office tank! Yes, this skimmer is quite the piece of equipment! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good. Just people might not know from the username. We need some sort of color for sponsor usernames, like they have for mods etc. After all, you guys will have a lot of expertise people will want to draw on. :)

maressa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tom,
Well, I put in my 2 cents as a hobbyist of about 25 years. It really is a awesome skimmer! As I have been told as long as it's not for advertising I am good! So, as I hobbyist I am loving my new skimmer! 10++++ RATING!!!!!LOL!!! :mrgreen:

maressa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim,
A few things to note on a skimmer on a nano.
1. If it can pull out waste faster then it's produced it will help lower nitrates!
2. Oxygen exchange is a big plus on ANY size tank! Including a nano
3. On a heavily loaded tank, oxygen levels may drop to very lovels. Very much so at certain times of the night. A skimmer helps saturate oxygen levels.
4. IF your not at home and there is a problem in the tank with a animal dying or a spawning event, a skimmer starts removing the waste VERY quickly.
And the list could go on and on! Any seasoned aquarist will tell you a skimmer is one of the most important pieces of equipment for a saltwater aquarium.
I have one on my RedSea Max which is a 34 gallon. Is that a nano? I'm not sure, but in my opinion is a skimmers benefits are well worth it.......................... :wink:

starr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maressa":33saipne said:
Hi Tom,
Yes, we have been a reefs.org sponsor for years! http://www.globeaqua.com You can view more pics on our Global Aquarium Sponsor page as well.
We are hobbyists too! This skimmer is running on our Max office tank! Yes, this skimmer is quite the piece of equipment! :wink:

Do they come in a hob model?

Starr

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maressa as a hobbyist I agree with your skimmer points (if you get this after 7+ mos) I think it gives a fair perspective to reefkeepers who ask about nanos and skimmers, although I don't use them water changes are fast for the pico crew.

there are a lot of nano keepers that dont use them as well, but we walk a fine line for having one less device that's certainly not an understatement. On the other hand those without skimmers rarely skip on tank maintenance having no lifeline!

I truly believe one day a company will invent a micro pico reef skimmer for ~2 gallon tanks as soon as the craze catches further, give it about a year or so just guessin. It won't have a thimble cup (fills too fast) it will have a misproportioned foam catcher relative to body size and probably would not look like a scaled-down euro skimmer. Too bad I can't envision it well enough to cash in lol just tossin ideas to the corporate guys who read our forums to get sales ideas...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: