• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably isn't a common problem, but I lost a fish this weekend, so I wanted to warn everyone of the potential problem. This could also be applicable to other all-in-one nano tanks. Anyway, the short story is, one of my juvenile pink skunk clowns managed to find his way into the back section of the Aquapod. There's at most a 1/2" gap between the hood and dividing wall between the main tank and the chambers in back. You wouldn't this would be an issue, but it's my only explanation for how my fish managed to get back there not once, but three times since I've had him. At first, I assumed he was just able to wiggle his way over the teeth in the overflow (he's not skinny enough to actually go through them), so I superglued an extension to the dividing wall just at that point, and it seemed to work. Well, he can obviously jump, turn sideways mid-air and make it through the gap anywhere along the back, because I found him this morning sucked into the powerhead inlet. If you're using the stock pump, this shouldn't be a problem, but I'd replaced it with a Maxijet 900, and since it won't fit with the screen (or whatever you call it) over the inlet, there was nothing to keep the fish from getting sucked in.

So, in conclusion, if you own an Aquapod (or anything else with a similar configuration) and you have a fish that could even theoretically fit through the gap between the dividing wall and the hood, I would highly suggest gluing something to the dividing wall that will completely eliminate the gap.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: