• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

saltypaws

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this Nano kit on Pacific East Aquaculture. It includes the following for $799.99 + S&H:

12g tank
Lighting, canopy, and hood - 70 watt HQI MH with LED moon lights and LED day lights
Built-in filtration system and pump for water flow
40 lb. live sand
13 g Nutri Seawater
3 "Pieces of the Reef" live rock with cultured corals
1 mated pair ocellaris clownfish
6 assorted algae eating snails
3 assorted scavenger hermit crabs

My questions are these:

1. Does this look like a worthwhile deal?
2. What other equipment would I need to add in order to make this a successful nano?
3. Are the "Pieces of the Reef" rocks a good idea? What happens if the corals grow a bit, is that enough room for them? Also, which ones will get along with each other and with the clowns?

I have been wanting a reef tank for about 4 years now, but due to lack of funds, have yet to bite the bullet!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. That torch coral mix looks pretty awesome. You may also want to invest in a hang-on-back skimmer.

The lights might be overkill if all you want to keep is softies. You might save money by buying all those things separately at a local store. Just use their setup as a template.

saltypaws

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Those torches do look fantastic...I am very tempted to make the three hour drive to go check them out in person, LOL!

You may be right about the lighting...I do tend to be more attracted to LPS, so it might be overkill. I'll have to shop about and see what it would cost to do everything separately, including the suggested skimmer.

Thanks again! :D

luisgo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same setup. The 12 galons aquapod with the 70 watts mh light. I think that the light is the best thing you can get for a nano that size. My tank just have 2 months. I have a Remora nano hang on skimmer. Check the photos for some ideas.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: