• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

it's gonna be an 18" cube, the live rock is already set aside (mostly kewl small branch rock pieces with some nice smattering of colored zoos on 'em)

tank might be skimmerles-and will be run initially with an empty fluval canister (gift/freebie), and later with a korallia tunze knockoff or two, with a viper clip-on halide

tank might be ready this week, and i can hardly wait, heh-this will be the first tank i've been able to set up at 'home' in quite awhile :D

A

Anonymous

ok, here are some first pics of the stack :P

Attachments

• vitz 018.jpg
    vitz 018.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 9,023
  • vitz 008.jpg
    vitz 008.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 9,029
A

Anonymous

the rock is 90% small (3-5") pieces of tonga branch, all latticed together. the shrooms are on a 'shelf' that juts out from the back 'wall', and there's a korallia 1 in the center 'cave', heh

Attachments

• vitz 010.jpg
    vitz 010.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 9,031
A

Anonymous

some more...

there's quite abit of space/surface area exposed-it's much 'airier' a structure than it looks at first ;)

Attachments

• vitz 012.jpg
    vitz 012.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 9,024
  • vitz 009.jpg
    vitz 009.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 9,019
A

Anonymous

Hmmm, I remember somebody lecturing us all one time about how 99% of reefkeepers stack their rock into a wall.... :P

Looking good Vitz. :)

A

Anonymous

heh :P

it actually isn't a wall-it's much more of a flattened arch-the pictures completely lose the 'back to front' dimension , for some reason.there are 3 cavey areas now-the middle, and a 'channel' on each side, as well tangenting to each back corner

i've added some more 'solid' and larger pieces on the left and right front, as well, to accentuate the center cave.

first coral additions were yesterday - one small candy cane, small red open brain, and 2 nice orange ricordea yuma :)

once i get a camera of my own, i'll post some much better pics (i hope)

thx :)

A

Anonymous

fish inhabitants are:

yellow mimic tang (Acanthurus pyroferus)

starcki damsel (Chrysiptera starcki)

bicolor blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)

royal gramma (Gramma loreto)

corals added so far:

small red open brain
orange skirt zoanthid rock
green/gray white stripe candy cane
2 capnellas
blastomussa wellsi (maroon w/neon green mouths)
nephthea
2 small neon green star polyp

colored zoanthids are starting to come back on the branch rock pieces throughout the tank :D

A

Anonymous

the tank is now about 3 months old (and a tad :P)

after a few rescapes, and lots of frag additions, here are some shots

note: alot of the corals were 'rescues' from work-either ailing, or not sellable quality, and some are still 'recovering' (you'll see some bare-ish blastos, and the monti digi/encrusting monti , and the echinophyllias that are still 'mending' :P

fish inhabitants are:

royal gramma
starcki damsel
bicolor blenny
pair of pink skunk clowns (male is shy and wouldn't come out for family photos :P

first, the tank's bottom third (it's the only part that's mostly 'done' and won't be added to much, or re-scaped ;) :

Attachments

• 18inchcubesept07 004.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 8,059
  • 18inchcubesept07 003.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 003.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 8,066
  • 18inchcubesept07 002.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8,071
A

Anonymous

some ricordea close(er) ups:

Attachments

• 18inchcubesept07 015.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 015.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 8,060
  • 18inchcubesept07 018.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 018.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 8,062
  • 18inchcubesept07 020.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 020.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8,061
A

Anonymous

bird's eye view of the front third (the 'bottom' pics posted above) :

(sorry for the feet :P )

Attachments

• 18inchcubesept07 059.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 059.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8,052
  • 18inchcubesept07 060.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 060.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 8,052
A

Anonymous

equipment/maintenance update:

light is a sunpod 70 watt 14k de stock bulb- i'm very happy with it 8) :)

(photoperiod is anywhere from 8-12 hrs/day, depending on when i wake up and go to work, and how long a work day i have ;) )

fluval 404 canister w/filter floss changed weekly-with both the output and inlet just above tank bottom, in each rear corner (sweeps dirt/etc off from the bottom of the tank behid the stack)

3 korallia powerheads, a #2, and two of the smallest ones (the #2 visible in the photos will eventually be hidden with the upcoming re-scapes)-the two smaller ones are placed on the right and left thirds of the tank, between the bottom and middle thirds, and shoot water from between the various holes/crevices in the stack

a maxijet 800 with a 90° elbow facing down for circulating the water behind the rock face

skimmed w/a seaclone 150 (it's NOT a very good skimmer-i built one out of a maxijet 800 and a 1liter schweppes tonic water bottle that outperformed it :P-but that had to be internal, was ugly and a space hog ;) for the sake of aesthetics, i changed out to the seaclone-(plus i got it cheap :P )-but it handles the 20 or so gallons of water volume i have ok

heater is a visitherm 150 watt submersible

tank is dosed with lanthanum chloride (for PO4 control), and B-Ionic for alk/Ca dosed presently at the rate of 1ml/2gallons (tank sucks it up right quick).pH is now hovering around 8.0 (started out at around 7.8) and slowly rising weekly a few small patches of cyano and nuisance algaes are disappearing

alot of the phosphates came from some of the various coral frags that either got 'lost' in the tank from falling through cracks/crevices in the stack, to tissue deterioration due to being too far gone to save by the system's present age/condition after taking them home

i dose the lanthanum by 'algae eye',(about 2-3 mls/day, spread out) and only check the pH and sg (1.024-25)

the monti digi and encrusting monti are slowly coloring up, and last nite i added two 1" tall seriatpora frags i found on the bottom of one of the coral troughs at work that were barely alive , during a major /breakdown'/cleaning of the trough-they look like they might make it :)

a water change is done weekly-10 gallons, depending on how much time/gumption i have on my day(s) off (a minimum of two 5 gallon changes a week, if i can't do a 10 for whatever reason)

fish are fed hikari pellets- one of their newer formulations, samples obtained from our sales rep as an 'experimental formulation' i have no idea exactly what they are (haven't been released labelled for sale to general public) but the fish love 'em and seem to do very well on those, with an occasional feeding of 'dainichi' pellets

on the last aquascape, i actually counted all of the zoa frags before re-placing each in it's final spot (whatever hadn't yet attached to rocks) there are a tad over 64 individual zoa frags (i add more weekly with each shipment we get in :P ) heh :)

A

Anonymous

some more bird's eye shots :

Attachments

• 18inchcubesept07 050.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 050.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8,035
  • 18inchcubesept07 052.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 052.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 8,042
  • 18inchcubesept07 053.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 053.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 8,035
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i took close to 100 pictures tonite, trying to also figure out which setting are best with this camera-flash, no flash, etc.etc. (with no huge amount of success, heh)

after i resize some pics so i can upload them to here (grrrr rdo needs to be able to host nice large pics! :P), i'll post them (with some full tank shots :) )

most likely within the next few days :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some zoa shots:

Attachments

• 18inchcubesept07 023.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 023.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 8,018
  • 18inchcubesept07 027.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 027.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 8,018
  • 18inchcubesept07 069.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 069.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 8,015
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some mid/upper tank shots (note the window fan reflection :P ) :

Attachments

• 18inchcubesept07 044.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 044.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 8,009
  • 18inchcubesept07 031.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 031.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 8,012
  • 18inchcubesept07 030.jpg
    18inchcubesept07 030.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 8,008
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got a camera :P

Attachments

• IMG_0169a.JPG
    IMG_0169a.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 5,106
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are 3 korallia 2's, 1 korallia 1,a fluval 404 with rowaphos and regular filter floss,, and a maxijet in the tank, in addition to the one showing that drives the skimmer

the rockwork is finished, and after an overly long period of neglect, the main remaining issue is some stubborn stands of bryopsis that should be gone in a month or so

the orange ric on the left side of the tank with its foot raised is presently budding 8)

Attachments

• IMG_0152a.JPG
    IMG_0152a.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 5,082
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: