• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'll ask the easy question first, which will negate the second part of the question if the answer is no. Is a sand sifting sea cucumber appropriate for a 12g tank with a shallow sandbed? If the answer is no, I have a 46 gallon he can be transferred to, and there's no reason to read further.

For some reason, the cucumber I have likes to spend 75% of his time on the glass. I don't think I've ever seen one like the glass so much, and I'm wondering if it's because he can't find enough to eat in the sand. I have 5-6 red legged hermit crabs and 3-4 cerith snails, as well as some astraeas, but they never hang out on the sand. Do I have too many janitors routing around on the sandbed? This is my first nano, so I'm sure there's plenty of potential for me to go overboard.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cuke is at least 10 inches long. Don't know how big your's is, but they do eventually split too. It might be trying to find a new location which is why it's migrating to the glass. HTH's. ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IslandCrow":2kegyowr said:
OK, I'll ask the easy question first, which will negate the second part of the question if the answer is no. Is a sand sifting sea cucumber appropriate for a 12g tank with a shallow sandbed? If the answer is no, I have a 46 gallon he can be transferred to, and there's no reason to read further.

For some reason, the cucumber I have likes to spend 75% of his time on the glass. I don't think I've ever seen one like the glass so much, and I'm wondering if it's because he can't find enough to eat in the sand. I have 5-6 red legged hermit crabs and 3-4 cerith snails, as well as some astraeas, but they never hang out on the sand. Do I have too many janitors routing around on the sandbed? This is my first nano, so I'm sure there's plenty of potential for me to go overboard.

IMO it's way too small for anything but a tiny cuke or temporary situation. The typical tiger tails that I see (about the size of a Snickers bar) are going to need somewhere around 4 square feet of a typical sandbed to get enough to eat.

IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. This guy was fairly small (about 3"), but I went ahead and moved him to my 46g at home anyway. The former cuke in there was murdered by a renegade Gorrilla crab. The crab has since been caught and banished to my frag tank, so it should be safe for this cuke now. Of course, it sounds like he may eventually outgrow my main tank as well, so I'll keep that in mind.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: