• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lying pretty low for awhile as my focus and attention have been drawn to other things. However, here is the current volume of saltwater in my possession, which sits on the kitchen counter.

I don't know what the volume is, but it's one of those hex tank kits from Wal-Mart (I think 1.5 gal or so). It's actually something my wife bought for her dorm room back in college, so it was free. The LR is just a few pieces I recieved in a trade with another hobbyist. The sole inhabitant is a turbo snail (which I'm beginning to think is immortal...). I recently swapped out a really old 13w curly-q PC for a 20w one (6500k). Heater is a 50w Tronic. Water flow is via an Elite Mini submersible filter.

To be honest, I don't really know why I'm posting pics as there's not really anything to look at right now, but figured I would throw up some startup shots to show a comparison down the road. People seem to be into that, anyway.

Attachments

• nano hex startup.jpg
    nano hex startup.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,761
  • nano hex startup angle.jpg
    nano hex startup angle.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,763

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you glued a calcified golf ball to your tank wall Sir? :) That ole boy looks healthy and well fed. I once watched one of those guys sit on an algae patch in my 19 gallon tank and not leave it for 4 hours, when he finally scooted away it was scraped clean, from there on out I promised to speak well of those snails and when I get a larger tank again I'll get more.

Your rock work looks great, a very clean spire of reef indeed. I saw those tank in WM and they have great fitting lids. Keep us updated. What hobbies do you have man that are more addicting than reef?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely pull their weight in the tank. This guy has definitely earned his place (despite the detrital load he contributes).

The tank has been setup for a few weeks, and up until recently I was having quite a bit of salt creep coming from underneath the lip on the outside of the tank...but that seems to have been solved by removing the plastic rim and applying a bead of silicone under it.

In regards to my other hobby, it is vivariums and the keeping/breeding of poison dart frogs. My trio of Epipedobates tricolor have been producing egg clutches like mad and I've been trying to rear the tads and get them morphed into froglets.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I wish I was working with that by now, the only reason I didn't make my terrarium globe for darts is because I couldn't find convenient food sources, didn't want fly cultures or have to buy pinners twice a week? Do you use any methods for feeding that are easier? That is one of the few home based hobbies where you can make serious profit at $20-$60 a pop for those buggers depending on which stage you might be interested in selling them. The reef looks great nothing is better than a clean start and aggressive water changes throughout. Have fun Sir
B

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FF cultures are what prevented me from doing it for a while (I'm not much of a 'bug guy,' plus the idea of being tied to having to make cultures, etc. wasn't all that appealing). However, it's really not all that bad. If you only have a few frogs, you don't have to produce tons of cultures--I start new ones once every week or two. When I make the medium, it's enough for 3-4 batches, so I'm only making that once a month or so (and it takes less than 30 minutes to mix and store). Once you get into the groove, it's not bad at all. I spend less time on my viv than I have on any of my reef systems (maybe an exception with this one). Anyway, here is something you might want to look into: http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... st&start=0 That might be more up your alley.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: