• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ethos

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I just started my 10G Nano.
I have really course sand, and about 8 pounds of LR, plus a funny hitch hiking clam.
Here's a list of some of the corals I want, any info is great!
Fanworm
Mushrooms
Ricordia (sp?)
Yellow Fiji Leather
(Can't read my writing, I believe its): Undiella (sp?)
Ephyllia Ancora
Tubastrea Aurea
Orange Plate Coral
Green Brain Coral (?)
Fox Coral (?)

I Don't have enough LR for that kind of' filtration, so what kind of media should I use? Its just an empty box filter I use just for current.

Thanks,
Ethos

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How nice to have you aboard! I think you'll find our community most helpful and most candid regarding accurate biological advice. I'll let some of our seniors chime in, they'll have lots to add. Welcome!

Regarding your choices, here's a few thought to get the brainstorming rolling...
-the tubastrea and fanworm can be done, but require specialized feeding usually unless aspects of system design are planned with these guys in mind (like Deep sand bed systems that liberate a lot of nutrients and microfauna for them, for example) have you researched these guys or are you seeing them as popular additions in reef tanks on these web boards. I personally think they can be done under the right settings, but I myself wouldn't use them in a nano just yet, that's my own opinion due to the work, maintenance and cleaning involved with their extra feeding requirements. No doubt you'll see people housing these guys, and looking well, but only those who are handling the specific bio needs of these organisms are keeping them past 1-2 yrs lets say...all the interim 'thriving' is likely attributed to animals living on their own nutrient stores which in time can deplete...the worm may shed its fan, and grow back increasingly smaller, and the tubastrea may recede or lose polyps if it's metabolic needs aren't met for the long term. You may find those with success regarding these guys, but that's not the norm for long-term first nano husbandry.

Could you provide more specifics regarding your lighting and dosing preparation (for calcium and alk). You are listing some stonies that enjoy nice water parameters for the best growth you are expecting...and, where else are you getting consultation (LFS, other boards, friends etc). Advice can be conflicting, I say you scratch all of them and bank here :) but I'm biased!

Nice to see you
B429

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: