• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bhanson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just set up a JBJ nano cube, 12g, I am worried that the stock pump/filter system is not giving me enough water flow. Should I add anything else to help with water movement, also do I need a skimmer or is everything ok as is?

One more thing, I took the bio-balls out, as I was worried about nitrate buildup, should I leave them out or put them back in?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi bhanson, nice to hear of your new setup. Your system can work fine with the bio-balls, just keep them clean by rinsing them w tank water during changes. Most take them out as the LR and associated reef surfaces (inclduing the walls, corals and live-sand) provide enough surface area for biological filtration...and removing the balls is just one less cleaning step involved in the process.

It's true many people add accessory pumps to the nanocube, the flow problem becomes even more pronounced as you add more LR structure which reduces flow down-low even further. I have seen success w people just sticking more powerheads along the side walls or installing a larger one in back and some sort of accessory output venting...'loclines' and the such. Welcome to the nano forum! In the early stages, if you can see opened and waving polyps, and little-to-no piles of detritus around your rock ledging, current is fine for a while.

b429

gussy

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took off the bio balls on mine. Change the pump to a higher rated one. After a year and a half I added a second one inside the tank.

bhanson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried about not using a skimmer right now. Is it ok to not have one or do I need to make a small one for this tank. Thanks

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as needing a skimmer it's all relative. It depends on your bioload, your existing filtration, and your maintenance (water changes). I have had my nanocube for 2 years now and have had great success without a skimmer. I removed the bio balls and use LR rubble in the back, along with a pack of purigen and chemi pure. I replaced the pump with a little stronger one, and added a microjet inside the display section on the left side. I have had no problems whatsoever, but having said that I have no fish in the tank, only corals and inverts, and because of that I have very few nutrients entering the equation. I think you will be fine without a skimmer to start, as long as you keep up water changes, and dont pack the tank with fish. If you notice high nitrates/nitrites steadily then you will want to add a skimmer, reduce your bioload, or increase water changes. Hope this helps.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. You should be good without a skimmer. Just make sure you have decent current for your corals, and sufficient lighting obviously. I don't know which model cube you got but it is pretty easy to modify these guys. I put a 32 watt and two 12 watt compact fluorescents into my hood along with the existing 24 watt bulb. This may be overkill for what you want, but you can easily add another bulb in there if needed. Also, if your cube doesnt have an exhaust fan, I would recommend adding one. Good luck with it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: