• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having used both (formerly T5, now PC/MH), I would judge solely on the bulbs you have available to you. I always had lousy selection of bulbs for my T5s and didn't really like the spectrum.. The current PCs I have are Coralife 50/50s which are much more appealing to me.

I would probably think, however, that 2 HO T5s will provide more distributed and "nicer" lighting than a single 65W PC.

Just bear in mind that there isn't a really significant difference between the two, so purchase with the looks in mind rather than any underlying performance.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the major difference between the two is the ability to reduce restrike with the T5 with a good reflector. If you're not going to get a top of the line reflector then you might as well go with the PC.

dogstar74

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all i've studied, I must echo the sentiments above. If you aren't gonna get the good quality reflectors, then they are essentially the same lights. The T5s however will offer the ability to use quality reflectors which really do increase the brightness by about 300%. Some have noted burning of their more fragile corals and having to move them to the bottom of the tank away from the lights. Usually you only see that with MH lighting. But if you only get the cheap reflectors, then you might as well not worry about hte upgrade and stick with the PCs.

Just my .02

travisurfer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would upgrade to the 2x48 that finnex makes. what about a single 75 watt vho?(these need to be replaced every 9 months right?)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
travisurfer":1zcyqhp3 said:
i would upgrade to the 2x48 that finnex makes. what about a single 75 watt vho?(these need to be replaced every 9 months right?)

I really like VHO. If you use an electronic ballast most VHO bulb will be good for over a year but if you go with the cheaper magnetic ballast then the bulbs will last 6 months at best, less for Actinics.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: